3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Tire Damage

Post by Zebedee »

Preflight turned up following tire damage. Ferry pilot flew the plane last 2 legs after engine bolt replacement, but doesn't look like anything he would have done. No cord showing and no flat spots.

I have my suspicions of cause, but definitely interested in any of yours.

Thanks

Jim
Attachments
IMG_4640.jpg
IMG_4639.jpg
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Re: Tire Damage

Post by smoss »

towed maybe with the brakes on, but you'd expect the same on the other tire, or maybe parked in some corrosive liquid for a bit?
Steve
DA40 XL
Zebedee
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Zebedee »

My thoughts exactly.

Looks like left tire sat in a puddle of something, just based on oval shape.

Someone suggested jet fuel would do that to a tire, but could have been anything.

Right tire is fine.

Thanks
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I agree that it appears to be dissolution by contact with a liquid. Vulcanized rubber is fairly resistant to most acids, but ketones (like acetone) will dissolve it fairly readily. I would talk to the shop - they likely had a solvent spill while your airplane was there. They should spring for a new tire if you had access to a lab, you could determine what the exact solvent was, but...
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: DScot
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N138UA
Airports: RJTY

Post by YokotaFTC »

smoss wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:35 pm maybe parked in some corrosive liquid for a bit?
My initial thoughts too....
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Its aquaplaning, or maybe you call it hydroplaning, locked wheel on standing water during the landing roll.
Zebedee
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Zebedee »

Karl wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:40 am Its aquaplaning, or maybe you call it hydroplaning, locked wheel on standing water during the landing roll.
That’s was my first thought. It still might be. But experienced pilot landed the plane on a dry runway.

When I look closely I see where it looks like something has eaten away in an oval pattern.

Thanks for the info

Jim
Zebedee
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Zebedee »

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I really don't think it was due to flat spotting the tire. There are areas of the tire that are higher and have less damage. Plus, the irregular, rough surface with 'streamers' looks like a solvent action, with the streamers being pulled from the softened rubber when the tire was first moved. I don't think hydroplaning could cause it either (Bridgestone's photo notwithstanding) since, by definition in hydroplaning, the tire is lifted off the runway surface by a layer of water, and thus, no wear occurs.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Zebedee wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:39 pm
Karl wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:40 am Its aquaplaning, or maybe you call it hydroplaning, locked wheel on standing water during the landing roll.
That’s was my first thought. It still might be. But experienced pilot landed the plane on a dry runway.

When I look closely I see where it looks like something has eaten away in an oval pattern.

Thanks for the info

Jim
Reverted rubber aquaplaning seems to fit the circumstances.

Types of Aquaplaning
Dynamic aquaplaning is that which does not begin unless the groundspeed as given by Horne’s formula above is exceeded. It leaves no physical evidence on tyre or runway surface.

Viscous aquaplaning arises in the same way as dynamic aquaplaning, but only on abnormally smooth surfaces such as touchdown zones contaminated with excessive rubber deposits, where it may begin and continue at any ground speed. Typically, a small amount of water may mix with a surface contaminant. a significantly thinner layer of contaminant is required in the event of viscous aquaplaning, compared to that required for dynamic aquaplaning. It too leaves no physical evidence on tyre or runway surface.

Reverted rubber aquaplaning occurs when the heat of friction from a locked wheel in contact with the surface causes the rubber to revert to its un-cured state and 'boils' the surface moisture into steam. The pressure of the steam raises the centre of the tyre off the surface whilst the edges remain in contact, forming a seal that temporarily traps the steam. The tyre will show clear evidence of rubber reversion and the runway surface will be clearly marked with the path of the wheels as a result of ‘steam pressure cleaning’ beneath the tyre. This is the only type of aquaplaning which leaves physical evidence on the runway surface. It was much more common before anti-skid units became widespread and usually only occurs to aircraft so fitted if an emergency brake, which is applied directly rather than through the anti-skid units, is used.