4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: Questions about pitting in the camshaft

Post by mhoran »

We overhauled our engine due to elevated iron levels in the oil analysis and metal filings found in our oil filter. The overhaul turned into a bit of a saga that you can read about on the forum. I'm the end, everything turned out fine.

I'll echo what everyone else said. Fly regularly, change the oil often, and keep an eye on iron or metal filings in the filter. I would NOT recommend pulling a cylinder just to check the camshaft. I also wouldn't recommend an overhaul without evidence of an issue.

When our engine came apart, the camshaft looked similar to the photo posted by Rich.

As mentioned by others, a factory overhaul will replace the flat tappets with roller tappets. However, if your overhaul shop orders a cam kit from Lycoming, it will come with DLC (diamond-like carbon) coated flat tappets, which Lycoming says are just as good as the roller tappets. Flat tappets cannot be replaced with roller tappets in the field, only by the factory.
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

I second the recommendation to hire Savvy Aviation as a consultant. Years of experience and wisdom with a conservative yet safety conscious approach to maintenance. You should pay for their yearly service and they will follow the engine data and oil analysis with you. If you do need engine work, then they will work with you to find someone to do it and help you with decisions. I believe you can be more certain of their recommendations since they are only working for you and have nothing to gain from recommending expensive inspections or engine work. They have experience with shops across the US so they will not recommend a shop that doesn’t have a good reputation. Look into it.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I reread the original post and realize I misread it. The indication of real trouble is not a bit of metal found in an oil analysis but the presence of iron/steel particlaes found in the oil filter. The latter is what I inferred. There is no mention one way or another about the oil filter having been opened and inspected, which is standard practice for an oil change.

Was the oil filter examined? This is the important metric for the apocalyptic responses in this thread.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Diamondsare4ever
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pepe
Aircraft Registration: N123
Airports: K

Post by Diamondsare4ever »

Rich wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:57 pm I reread the original post and realize I misread it. The indication of real trouble is not a bit of metal found in an oil analysis but the presence of iron/steel particlaes found in the oil filter. The latter is what I inferred. There is no mention one way or another about the oil filter having been opened and inspected, which is standard practice for an oil change.

Was the oil filter examined? This is the important metric for the apocalyptic responses in this thread.
Thanks Rich, figured it might be easiest to post a pic of the latest oil analysis. See attached….. wait a second, how do attach a photo?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Diamondsare4ever wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:11 pm
Rich wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:57 pm I reread the original post and realize I misread it. The indication of real trouble is not a bit of metal found in an oil analysis but the presence of iron/steel particlaes found in the oil filter. The latter is what I inferred. There is no mention one way or another about the oil filter having been opened and inspected, which is standard practice for an oil change.

Thanks Rich, figured it might be easiest to post a pic of the latest oil analysis. See attached….. wait a second, how do attach a photo?
Drag and drop into the message response frame works for me. Or use the attachments tab right below.

|
|
V
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Diamondsare4ever
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pepe
Aircraft Registration: N123
Airports: K

Post by Diamondsare4ever »

Rich wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:21 pm
Diamondsare4ever wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:11 pm

Drag and drop into the message response frame works for me. Or use the attachments tab right below.

|
|
V
Let me know if it worked?
Attachments
IMG_4718.jpeg
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Picture embed looks fine. You can check before posting by using the "preview" button.

Note that they also suggest to check for metal in the oil filter. Ae the previous entries from the same plane? If so, that's worth examining.