One way to put it

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

One way to put it

Post by Rich »

A friend and former instructor of mine now owns/runs a flying club out of Paine Field (KPAE). A few days ago a pilot of their 150 had a "power problem" that caused him to crash into a ravine just short of 16R. No significant injuries but the plane is wrecked. The cause of the power problem is now determined to be, as my friend put it, "too much air in the fuel tanks" :D
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: One way to put it

Post by mhoran »

I'm always so surprised by these type of accidents. I just don't understand how it happens, at least not on any sort of $100 hamburger flight. Maybe on a long IFR flight where you have to divert and the diversion doesn't work out and you burn through all your extra fuel. But that's just a massive planning failure. For a weekend jaunt, or even a VFR trip, I always leave the ground with at least an hour of extra fuel PAST when I know I'll be on the ground. I guess the people this happens to must treat their plane like a car, get in and realize they don't have enough fuel, but pulling over to the side of the road isn't an option.

I've also never run out of fuel in my car...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

This was just an out-and-back flight of 90 minutes, so no excuse, really. In a hurry? I think they use mogas in this plane and others, refueling from cans stashed somewhere. Maybe an interesting story there. I can see this being more of a pain than filling up at the pump.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

My guess is if all you do is local area flights, I can imagine it gets easy to assume you've got enough fuel all the time and maybe miss verifying tanks were filled one critical time. Especially if you're relying/assuming the last person filled up.

Richard (the club owner in question) relatively recently had cans of gas stolen and had to move the storage site, so maybe it's even more of a pain than we think.