2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Re: Rear Door departs a DA40 after takeoff

Post by Kyle »

I've heard the same thing, let the safety latch do it's job and keep the door closed. Pushing the door back down or messing with the handle will likely disengage the safety latch and result in the door opening and departing. Part of my preflight briefing is to instruct passengers not to touch the handle or latch even if the door partially opens.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

This incident made the "Wait, Wait, Don't tell me." broadcast today :D

That 17 or so sounds about right. I see these show up on the FAA Accident and Incident page with some regularity. It seems like a couple per year.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Further to my earlier comment about checking and lubricating the red button, it is also important to check the operation of the latch mechanism.
The latch mechanism has an over-centre lock design utilizing a spring, older versions have a steel spring while newer versions have a gas strut. If the spring is not doing its job the latch can vibrate open in flight.
To check it, open the door a few inches and move the latch lever, it should snap to both the open and closed position and be held there by the spring.
If it is possible to leave the latch lever in any position the the spring is not doing its job and the latch could vibrate open during flight.
A weak or ineffective spring on the latch combined with a sticky red button on the secondary catch could result in loss of the door even if you correctly check it is closed and latched before flight.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Max Prescott put out a podcast where he tries to go into the details of the locking mechanism but overlooks/misstates numerous things,

1. There are two lugs for the passenger door: fore and aft. His podcast would lead you to think there is only the one in front.
2. Doesn't reference the potentially sticking safety release button, which can need attention.
3. Makes no mention of the "Door" annunciator.
4. Doesn't mention checking that the latch clearly goes "over-center" as part of preflight. The gas spring in particular clearly has some reliability issues.

My comments:
"Door" annunciator:
Way in the past the "Door" annunciator was flaky in mine until I replaced and readjusted the actuating arms for it. (In the old design like mine, the switch assembly for both the canopy and passenger door is in the left center post, behind the large rear seat vent control.) Note that on power-up all indicators should light up briefly so you can see that at least the bulb hasn't burned out.

At least occasionally, check that the "Door" light comes on independently whenever either the canopy latch is released.

Preflight:
The preflight checklist in the POH glosses over the rear door inspection. I always double-check that the "child safety latch" button operates correctly. It's also worth working the latch itself to check for that over-center feel. These checks need to be redone after loading anything in the rear, such as passengers or cargo.

An anecdote worth repeating: When we picked up the plane from the factory I mentioned to the sales dude who accompanied us that it seemed like some curious two-year old might undo the rear latch in flight. He actually got kind of huffy and stated he didn't consider it a problem. Obviously this childless guy (his wife was expecting their first child at the time) had a lot to learn. The AMM in part refers to the safety lock as a "Child Safety Lock" :D (ref DA40 52-10-00 fig. 9 and similar).
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Another one - Las Vegas, NV yesterday:
https://www.asias.faa.gov/apex/f?p=100: ... 24,DIAMOND
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

“AIRCRAFT DEPARTED, LEFT DOOR FELL OFF AND RETURNED TO LAND, LAS VEGAS, NV.”

Kind of like the first stage of a Space-X rocket.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Soareyes wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:27 pm “AIRCRAFT DEPARTED, LEFT DOOR FELL OFF AND RETURNED TO LAND, LAS VEGAS, NV.”

Kind of like the first stage of a Space-X rocket.
Maybe we could rig up the rear hatch to act as a Rogallo wing similar to what was proposed for the Gemini spacecraft:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-o ... he%20ocean.

In case of an engine failure over inhospitable terrain, you could deploy the rear hatch (retained to the airframe by straps of course), and glide back to land. Facetious, of course...
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

To check it, open the door a few inches and move the latch lever, it should snap to both the open and closed position and be held there by the spring.
If it is possible to leave the latch lever in any position the the spring is not doing its job and the latch could vibrate open during flight.
I performed this check a couple days ago and afaict failed it. The latch more or less could be put to any position.

It's also a bit stiff and squeaky - could it be possible that insufficient lubrication could prevent the gas piston from doing its job?
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

dant wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:27 pm
I performed this check a couple days ago and afaict failed it. The latch more or less could be put to any position.

It's also a bit stiff and squeaky - could it be possible that insufficient lubrication could prevent the gas piston from doing its job?
It could, but more likely the gas spring.

Try lube it first and see what happens.