Standby instruments

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Re: Standby instruments

Post by dant »

It uses the pitot/static inputs to determine that the airplane isn't flying (no airspeed) and turns itself off.
So if you run out of power in clouds and your pitot heat gets disabled and you ice over...
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

dant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:50 pm
It uses the pitot/static inputs to determine that the airplane isn't flying (no airspeed) and turns itself off.
So if you run out of power in clouds and your pitot heat gets disabled and you ice over...

According to the SAM pilot guide, you can stop the automated shutdown.

SAM-shutdown.png
erchegyia
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: HBSGV
Airports: LSZH

Post by erchegyia »

Steve wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:48 pm In mine, the Emergency Switch operates the Floodlight only.
that sounds like an extreme overkill. an emergency battery (to be replaced every 2 years) only for the flood light (which is not needed by the LED backlit SAM anyway....)?! :shock:
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Yes, but in my airplane (2001) the Emergency battery is just a bunch of Duracell AAs - cheap.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

In the 2001-03 non-G1000 DA40s the emergency battery powers the mechanical attitude indicator as well. However, many of us have replaced that instrument with an electronic AI, which has its own battery so only the floodlight is powered.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

blsewardjr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:12 pm In the 2001-03 non-G1000 DA40s the emergency battery powers the mechanical attitude indicator as well. However, many of us have replaced that instrument with an electronic AI, which has its own battery so only the floodlight is powered.
Something just occurred to me. Upon replacing the AI/HSI with an Aspen, I have a "standby" instrument of my own. To wit: the Turn Coordinator. Specifically, the Aspen STC requires the TC for IFR operations. When installing the Aspen (with its own battery) we disconnected the emergency battery from the precious AI circuit. This leaves it only available to power the floodlight. What would make sense is to wire the TC into the abandoned pole on the switch so that it could be powered by the battery pack, should that be necessary.

This is something of a theoretical issue. Of all the tens of thousands of posts on this board, other social media and discussions with others over these many years I haven't seen one single instance of the emergency battery having been used for its intended purpose.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5