Lithium Battery pack in the airplane

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Lithium Battery pack in the airplane

Post by Steve »

I don't have a USB power outlet installed in my airplane. Instead, I use a lithium battery pack to power my ADS-B-In device (a Sentry Mini), and to charge my iPad on longer flights. I used to use a 20000 mAh pack, but recently got a 50000 mAh one. Using it today for 90 minutes only consumed about 9 % of the charge.

At any rate, the large capacity of this pack got me thinking - what about the fire hazard? Both during the flight, and when it is sitting in the airplane disconnected between flights. I'd hate to torch my airplane and hangar due to a battery fire...

For those that use them, what do you guys do with the battery packs? I used to leave the old one in the airplane all the time, only taking it out to charge it about every tenth flight or so. Today, after flying, I removed it and put it on the concrete hangar floor away from everything flammable. Am I being paranoid?
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Re: Lithium Battery pack in the airplane

Post by dant »

I just make sure it can fit through the storm window if things go sideways.
Fanta$01
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N405FP
Airports: LAX

Post by Fanta$01 »

Personally, I wouldn't leave the battery pack in the airplane between flights, just to be on the safe side. Storing it on the concrete hangar floor away from anything flammable sounds like a smart move.
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Steve wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:34 am Today, after flying, I removed it and put it on the concrete hangar floor away from everything flammable. Am I being paranoid?
Removing it is a good thing. I use a 20000 mAh unit from Flight Gear. I alway remove it from the plane when I am not flying.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

I only use smaller LiOn battery packs from large name brands to reduce the chance of a short circuit due to poor QA or manufacturing.
If I was to get a larger one, I would buy a Lithium battery fire bag and keep the battery in there.

LiOn batteries have thermal runaway events that start when charging or discharging. After use, you might have a short caused by LiOn formations (I think they are called dendrites, but not positive) which then causes the thermal runaway event. It is possible that the thermal runaway event is delayed; such as the LG batteries in the Chevy Bolt. However; delayed ignition is apparently a rare event; and requires a number of factors to go wrong together.

With that said, I do not leave LiOn batteries in a plane when parked :D. And if I had larger batteries on a plane, I would keep a fire bag handy when flying.

Note: My knowledge on this is all from reading, it is NOT my field.

Tim
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

TimS wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:36 pm Note: My knowledge on this is all from reading, it is NOT my field.

Tim
Same here, it was getting the larger battery that stimulated my interest. That is a lot of energy. I do a lot of hiking, and Li-ion batteries are my most reliable method for making fire on the trail (I have at least three different methods in my pack for every hike). A CR123 size Li-ion battery and a paper clip to short it will make a roaring fire in about 35 seconds, even when everything is wet.

Fire bag is a good idea as well. I'll look into them. Maybe an oven glove as well...
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

I know you aren't asking for battery recommendations but in case anyone is in the market, I have one of these for when I'm flying long enough to drain my iPad in-flight. It is expensive but I trust the brand and I like knowing more detail on what I am getting/can expect from the battery. It is also small enough to be ditched out the pilot's window in an emergency. They have a slightly larger one (27,000 mAh) as well. I don't have any ties with Anker, I just find their products superior to other brands (including Apple for cables).

https://www.anker.com/products/a1336-20 ... ecommended

I agree that placing your battery far from objects when not in use only provides benefits and while it may feel silly, there is no reason to not have that peace of mind as long as it isn't a hassle. As far as fire bags, I've looked into those too as a belt and suspenders option but found the big brand name options to be incredibly expensive. Obviously less expensive than the result of needing one and not having it.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

I have two Turboant X7 Pro electric scooters that I throw in the back of the plane occasionally for quick trips to the beach, etc. I bought that brand specifically because they have removable battery packs. At 360Wh (10Ah at 36V), they are much larger than the 50K mAh mentioned. I always keep the removable batteries within easy reach in a fireproof bag with a set of heavy leather gloves at my feet. As a semiconductor exec for many years, I sold charging and battery management system components for everything from Apple Watches to Mercedes. No matter how good the design of the battery, failures occur and you would want to be able to eject them as quickly as possible. Most consumer battery packs are made from cheap Chinese batteries and semiconductors, so the risk is even higher.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I use the Flight Gear 20,000 mAh battery. I don’t leave it in the plane and I recharge it after using it. It will fit through the storm window if there is a problem and I have a fire bag too but my plan would be to get it out the window if I can. It doesn’t cause interference with the radios as other batteries have. It will keep the iPad and iPhone going if the alternator/battery fail. It was easier to “install” and less expensive than a panel mount USB port and can be easily upgraded if the plugs change. I’ve been very happy with this battery.
ACCTHA9
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Por
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: HSXXX
Airports: VTBD KORL

Post by ACCTHA9 »

Mine is the 150K mah version of go-fish product. it power my AC artic thiggy. I bring it down when I am at the home base airport... but if it is during travel... sometimes we don't even bring it down as I would precool my aircraft before flying sometime after a hot sunny day. idk if its a good idea... Might not even do this during 40 c day in the summer