Wax On Wax Off

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: DScot
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N138UA
Airports: RJTY

Wax On Wax Off

Post by YokotaFTC »

Looking for Wash/Cleaner and Wax. Lots of products out there...looking at Wash All and Rejex currently, figured I'd ask here what's everyone's fave. What have you found most easy to use, results, etc. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all!!!
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Re: Wax On Wax Off

Post by MarkA »

Once a year I use Windex to clean (especially the oil on the fuselage bottom) and Rejex for protection. I find the Rejex coating is slippery enough that bugs come off the leading edge after each flight with just plane water.
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I love the Aero Cosmetics line. Wash Wax All, Wash All Degreaser (for cleaning the underside), and the Wax All Ceramic. I also use the Klasse All-In-One product 3-4 times a year. We use the Wash Wax All after every flight.

I use Plexus exclusively on the plexiglass canopy and windows. Meguar's Leather Wipes are what I use on the seats. I use iCloth for cleaning the G1000 panels.

I stay away from products with ammonia and silicones. Also, don't use Pledge.
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by YokotaFTC »

chili4way wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:49 am I stay away from products with ammonia and silicones. Also, don't use Pledge.
Looking at the Aero Cosmetics line all morning...seems like they are a one stop shop which, being overseas and shipping an all, is what I'm looking for...thanks for the recommendation.

Seen several posts in here using pledge....can you elaborate?
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Plane is on ramp. First I got it ceramic coated. Then I use Wash Wax All. I bought the kit. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... key=518973. I get refills on amazon. I’m still experimenting with best debugger.

The extending wand/mop thing is great. Takes four mop heads to do the plane. First I debug the leading edges and nose. Then I actually apply the wash / wax with garden sprayer in five foot sections followed up with wet then dry side of mop thing. Finally I use the clothes to finish up. It’s so slippery afterwards it’s almost dangerous.

Takes about 40 minutes. A little longer if I degrease the belly. But I only do that about every third or fourth time.
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by YokotaFTC »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:29 am Plane is on ramp. First I got it ceramic coated. Then I use Wash Wax All. I bought the kit. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... key=518973. I get refills on amazon. I’m still experimenting with best debugger.

The extending wand/mop thing is great. Takes four mop heads to do the plane. First I debug the leading edges and nose. Then I actually apply the wash / wax with garden sprayer in five foot sections followed up with wet then dry side of mop thing. Finally I use the clothes to finish up. It’s so slippery afterwards it’s almost dangerous.

Takes about 40 minutes. A little longer if I degrease the belly. But I only do that about every third or fourth time.
Am I reading reviews on this wash/wax all right?....can use on canopy?
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Yes, it works on canopy. But I use plexus prist or zepp. Don’t have a good reason other than tradition. I originally bought plexus but it’s crazy expensive. My line guy gave me some cans of prist because FBO switched to zepp. I can’t tell the difference.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

When cleaning plexiglass, the product mustn't contain ammonia. Plexus, Prist (not to be confused with FSII with the same name), or Zepp is specifically formulated to clean plexiglass. It's crucial to thoroughly wet the plexiglass with the cleaner and use the area of the microfiber cloth (never paper towels) only once so you don't grind the dirt picked up by the fabric back into the plexiglass. It's also essential to wipe only in up-and-down and left-to-right movements, never in circles on plexiglass.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I think it’s the washing that scratches the plexiglass the most, so I don’t wash it any more often than I have too. When it’s above freezing I start with a spray bottle of water and rinse/flood off as much of the dirt and dust as I can. If I had easy access to a hose I’d probably use that. Then in the summer I use Wash Wax All on the plexiglass. In the winter I just use Plexus. I use microfiber cloths and buy new ones each year and use the old ones on the rest of the plane or around the house. Klasse is a great sealant for the rest of the plane and really helps on the leading edges. I think it can be used on the canopy too but I haven’t tried that. Diluted Carbon-X and paper towels are great for the belly. Wash Wax All is also good on the leather. My 2 cents worth.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Has anyone tried Cerakote ceramic paint sealant? It gets fantastic reviews.