XPlane Simulated ForeFlight and FlightStream Syncing

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

XPlane Simulated ForeFlight and FlightStream Syncing

Post by ingramleedy »

My new bird is in the shop, it had a couple of small oil leaks and a bad servo. It's a pretty big deal to fix so I have to turn my attention elsewhere.

I am also waiting on a RealSimGear BATD for DA40 so I can get my IFR currency in as an option.

So I am used to syncing ForeFlight flight plans to the G1000 in the real aircraft, ForeFlight -> to FlightStream -> to G1000. I wanted the same experience on XPlane, so I wrote an IOS app that will take a ForeFlight flight plan and send it to the panel wirelessly and automatically. Here is a demo of alpha version 1. Let me know if this of any interest to you.

https://youtu.be/UnvbaWKQkh0
Flight Plan Transfer App (Medium).png
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: XPlane Simulated ForeFlight and FlightStream Syncing

Post by waynemcc999 »

ingramleedy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:10 pm Let me know if this of any interest to you.

https://youtu.be/UnvbaWKQkh0

Flight Plan Transfer App (Medium).png
Ingram, I would absolutely (!!) be interested and happy to help in testing. I use X-Plane 12 almost daily (I'm currently sim flying the routes and approaches we'll be using for a March 2024 circumnavigation of Mexico IRL).
Here's my email: waynemcc@wamware.com

Cool!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

I too would love your app. I’m using x11 because it works best with my Aviatek panel. Still getting it sorted out, but your app sounds great. The da40 in msfs does not have the exact g1000 nxi autopilot layout is another reason for x11.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

I am finishing up the app and will try to get to testflight for testing next. Once there I can send it over for testing. It does require XPlane12 and should work for any panel as its really sending the Flight Plan to XPlane itself.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

Here is a very early alpha build of Flight Stream X. This version the app,

(1) you will need to be already running the app on your IOS device; (Future version will support direct send if the app isn't running)
(2) Xplane 12 must be running on the local network of the IOS device and the computer you are running Xplane on. ** Note you must be running Xplane version 12 or greater.

You will then create your FlightPlan in ForeFlight (it may work with Garmin Pilot too, I have not tested), and you will send the flight plan (Sharing button) to ther FlightStream X app. It then will convert the flight plan (Garmin FDL XML) to a XPlane FMS and send it to the Xplane via UDP.

The app interface is super basic right now, not sure if it makes sense to have another step added to the app unless there is a reason.

Here is the Test Flight link for the app https://testflight.apple.com/join/PCZOmOv1

-Ingram
PapaG
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N673PH
Airports: KRNO

Post by PapaG »

Ingram I would love to be able to use this app. My email is Greg@Dreamweaverinv.com. Thanks
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

PapaG wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:46 pm Ingram I would love to be able to use this app. My email is Greg@Dreamweaverinv.com. Thanks
Greg, check the post above for the link to download and few tips on how to use it. Improbably need to clean the build
Up and release a new version soon. If you use the TestFlight link it will automatically update too.

-Ingram
PapaG
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: N673PH
Airports: KRNO

Post by PapaG »

Ingram, I have done that but it tells me on Test Flight that I need a code or an invite. I have never used that before so maybe I am doing something wrong but it doesn't let me go any further.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

Have you tried this link? This is the invite for the app, https://testflight.apple.com/join/PCZOmOv1
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Ingram,

I note that in your first post you say you are waiting on your RealSimGear BATD. I have one (I opted for the DA50 version as it was closest to the DA62 I was flying at the time).

I've been lucky, between actual IMC and a fairly recent IPC, that I hadn't needed to do any currency "rides" in the BATD until just a couple weeks ago. For those who say this is "cheating", I suggest they get a PilotEdge account, set weather in X-Plane to the appropriate minimums for the approach you are flying and then, for ILS/VOR approaches, "fail" your GPS. Hard to "simulate" that in IRL.

However, the point of this post is I just wanted to note that your cool app apparently only works with X-Plane 12. Whereas, the BATD only is certified to work with X-Plane 11. Not sure you were aware. I'm moving to XP12 more and more (there are certain things in XP11 that remain more stable) and I can certainly enter flight plans in XP11 for the fairly infrequent times I need to use the BATD.