2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Francis
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: 57AZ

DA20 heated Pitot update

Post by francismolloy »

Good day all,
Just came across service bulletin DAC1-30-02 "Installation of a Heated Pitot Static Probe (Optional)" .
This would be very beneficial here in Canada so was wondering if anyone has performed. It's also a required equipment for IFR.
Seem the more recent pics on diamond website have the switch installed as well. The procedure is quite involved and the heater requires a 15amp additional breaker.
I will get this quoted locally and see what the damage is, but seems this has floated to the top of my upgrade list given the safety factor.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: DA20 heated Pitot update

Post by mhoran »

I trained in a DA20 with pitot heat. I believe it came from the factory that way, perhaps standard.

But the IFR restriction on the DA20 is more complicated than just pitot heat. My understanding is that there is inadequate lightning protection. In the DA40, there is an aluminum mesh within the composite, as well as static wicks, which provide lightning protection and static dissipation. I don't believe this was ever offered as an option for the DA20, hence the IFR restriction.

Certainly a nice safety feature (I always have the heat on at takeoff in my DA40) but this alone won't make the DA20 IFR certified.
francismolloy
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Francis
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: 57AZ

Post by francismolloy »

Thanks Matt,
I'm completing my IFR ticket in Canada, where there is no such thing as IFR certified airplanes, just an equipment requirement. I'm still not saying this would complete the IFR equipment list, but it's on there for sure. I seem to recall a alternate static source, but it's not showing up in the docs.
I'm not sure what static dissipation does for us, but probably quite important for the onboard flammables...
I believe I can complete my IFR training and checkride in this bird as long as it's not in IMC.
Also the heated pitot is a requirement for VFR over the top (OTT) which I've found myself flying quite often in the DA40 and would want to have either way.
Do you recall what year the DA20 you were training in was?
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

> I believe I can complete my IFR training and checkride in this bird as long as it's not in IMC.
Yes that is true, and even in the US you can file and pick up an IFR clearance so long as you do not enter IMC (so long as you have the required equipment, regardless of certification). The DA20 is an amazing training aircraft, I really loved my time in it and it got me hooked on Diamonds!

> Do you recall what year the DA20 you were training in was?
Hmm. I've flown three, a 2004, 2005 and 2006. I have a photo of the panel for the 2004 and I don't see a pitot breaker. So it must have been the 2005 or 2006. I just remember being told, when I asked what it was, that I didn't have to worry about it.
DerekM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: GPDN
Airports: CYTZ CNT7

Post by DerekM »

I had a da20 for over 10yrs and loved it. Awesome plane, nearly perfect as a single person ‘motorbike in the sky’. I was sad to see it go when I bought the da40.
I tried to get a heated pitot for safety but it wasn’t offered as an upgrade. Part of my checklist was what would fail and what to do if the pitot froze up. And yes, it’s true that no da20 can be certified ifr or legally flown imc due to lack of lightning protection (alum mesh). If it gets hit by lightning it could be very bad news.

And yes you can do almost or perhaps even all of your ifr training in it as long as you have the equipment. Its a low cost very well engineered, fun and safe plane to fly.