3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Hope I Don't Regret This!

Post by nworthin »

After 14 months and 160 hours of wonderful flight in my DA62, I decided that the mission had changed so dramatically that I had to part with the plane.

I recently bought a vacation home 450 miles away and learned my wife and I are about to become first time grandparents to twins. The DA62 can do the trip but it can't carry all the extra bodies and stuff. And, I've suddenly become very popular now that we have a mountain home on a lake! So, I expect I will be doing a lot of shuttle trips.

To satisfy this new mission. I went to an extreme and bought a Kodiak 100. About the same speed and range as the DA62 (on 3X the fuel consumption) but with 8 really large and comfortable seats in club configuration, huge cargo capacity, GWX75 radar, FIKI (TKS), G1000 NXi and the best environmental control system I've ever experienced in any aircraft. And, of course, a PT6 out in front. I previously owned a Pilatus but decided I didn't want the extra expense and maintenance complications. The Kodiak was designed to be servicable in the most remote corners of the world. This makes it crude in some respects but that simplicity means there's very little to break. And, it's (over) built extremely well. I fully expect this will go annual to annual without any squawks. I also discovered that, after ten years of flying in the flight levels, I really like flying lower and enjoying the scenery and the unpressurized Kodiak with its huge windows and high wings actually gives me more of that than the DA62.

I was surprised that insurance is actually less than for the DA62 even though value is more than 1M higher and, of course, 8 seats. I was required to attend Kodiak initial simulator based training but was not required to have any mentor time in an actual plane (I got some anyway). Obviously, insurers don't like retractable gear and/or twins. It's also clear to me they really don't understand the DA42/62. I could never figure out how you could land gear up (how do you slow down?!) and engine out drills were very benign. However, I do have to admit that the Kodiak is super simple to fly.

I will definitely miss the DA62. It's almost as smooth as a turbine, and the controls are so tight and precise it was just a joy. The Kodiak, by contrast, feels something like a big Stationair with a turbine out front, though the controls are better strung. And the straight gear is designed to handle just about any kind of landing which, unfortunately, means it's really tough to do a smooth one! Definitely going to miss the trailing link.

Not everyone is familiar with this airframe so I have attached a photo.

Also, I'm selling off some of the accessory gear from the DA62 (cover, powered tow, Jet Shades) which you can find in the For Sale area.

Moving on!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: Hope I Don't Regret This!

Post by MackAttack »

Congrats!!! You’ll love the Kodiak; I think they are great airplanes for the kind of mission you’re flying. I’m about to close on the sale of our M600, which I will miss but also have been flying the 62 a lot and loving it. I will miss flying OVER the weather rather than THROUGH the weather, but the 62 suits my typical mission much better. When the plane matches the mission, everyone is happier!! Sounds like that’s what you’ll be getting with your new bird. And she looks great!

I think you’ll be super happy in your Kodiak - please stay on the forum and post pics. I find it fascinating that the insurance is lower too … such a strange market!

Cheers!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Congratulations, it looks like a great match for your new mission.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

I’ve read a lot about this plane. It’s a Jeep/minivan of the sky. Sounds perfect for your growing family. Enjoy!