2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: CFERG
Airports: CYPQ

Cabin heat

Post by Flyingferg »

How does everyone’s cabin heat work for you?

The reason I am asking is my cabin heat worked excellent when I took delivery of my 62. A few flights later the cabin heat Bowden cable broke and was replaced by Diamond Service in London. Ever since this replacement the cabin heat flows very little air and struggles to keep the cabin warm at 5C OAT. The plane is currently back at Diamond Service for its annual and Beringer brake installation. They are telling me that my heat is working as it should and I don’t agree.

Thanks for replying in advance.
thommy152
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: N271CF
Airports: 16J

Re: Cabin heat

Post by thommy152 »

I’m interested to hear the responses from others. We’ve had our DA-62 for about 6 months. I recently used the cabin heat for the first time and while the air was warm, the volume of air seemed insufficient to do any substantial heating. However, the defroster puts out so much hot air that it’s probably sufficient to heat the whole cabin.
2000 C182S (N882SP) / 2023 DA-62 (N271CF).
Commercial ASEL, AMEL, CFI.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

I find the cabin heat pathetic if it’s really cold outside. It’s just completely inadequate, just like the A/C. The defroster helps quite a bit though, but blowing hot air from the top is annoying.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Same here. The cabin heat is pretty weak, the defroster blasts, but in your face. Hot head, frozen feet.
MikeMeadows
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N486A
Airports: KTME KDWH KIWS TS07 KSGR

Post by MikeMeadows »

Problem I experience on several DA62's is that the heat works very well for pilot and copilot, but hardly at all for the rear seats. They complain about about cold air coming from behind the baggage compartment. At altitudes in the teens, the rear seat folks have to use blankets. Defrost air helps heat the rear, but gets uncomfortable for the font seat people. Service center can find nothing wrong with one of the aircraft I took to them.

Mike Meadows

ATP CFII MEI
Houston, TX

mike meadows at sbcglobal dot net
Deanrobert
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dean
Aircraft Registration: N801VA
Airports: SPI

Post by Deanrobert »

Same issue w passenger heat; i also get a fairly strong jet fuel smell when i turn on the cabin heat -anybody else experience that?
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

You need to fine tune the Cabin Heat lever to just above halfway and passenger heat should be fine at higher altitudes. I found it took some adjusting initially to get the position right but works for me.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

You need to fine tune the Cabin Heat lever to just above halfway and passenger heat should be fine at higher altitudes. I found it took some adjusting initially to get the position right but works for me.

The only time I have sensed a smell of jet fuel is when approaching stall during flight reviews.

Hope this helps.
Flyingferg
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: CFERG
Airports: CYPQ

Post by Flyingferg »

Deanrobert wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:53 am Same issue w passenger heat; i also get a fairly strong jet fuel smell when i turn on the cabin heat -anybody else experience that?
I had this same problem with my defroster when the plane was first delivered to me. The left engine fuel strainer had a slight leak and leaked fuel below onto the defroster tubing. The fuel smell in the cabin was very strong and unbearable if the defroster was used. The remedy was to repair the fuel strainer leak and replace the scat tubing for the defroster as it was soaked in fuel.

Sounds like you may have the same problem but only with the right side engine. Hopefully your plane is still covered by the warranty.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I had "fuel" smell when the plane was new, but was advised it was the smell of new plastic. The smell did go away after a few months.