5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: DA62 USB Ports

Post by Rich »

FWIW the O2D2 user manual I have indicates the unit is kind of touchy about the input voltage when externally powered. It also indicates that "future units" should be better at it. You might check with MH for advice on this. I just use the batteries. (I'm out of charging ports anyway :D )
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

My airplane doesn't have any installed USB ports (it is a 2001). Yet, I really don't miss them. I have only 4 possible users of USB power inside the airplane:

1) Sentry Mini ADS-B receiver - powered by a USB power brick in the copilot's seat back pocket
2) iPad mini - internal battery lasts 3 hours with the screen on - almost all of my flights are shorter than this, if not, I
have a USB cord plugged into the same brick and run to the panel. If I need to recharge the iPad, I simply plug the
cord in
3) GoPro camera - I don't usually shoot long videos with the internal camera, usually a total of 20 minutes or less for
each flight (takeoff, landing, and any 'unusual' occurrences). The GoPro battery lasts for 2 hours. The external
GoPro battery also lasts about 2 hours - I can recharge it partially during a 20 minute fuel stop.
4) My iPhone - it has a new battery and I use it only as a camera and to make occasional texts and calls. Battery life is
never an issue

The USB power brick is a beast, lasting up to two months with my usual usage. I have a second one in my fight bag to switch out when one needs recharging. I had considered installing a USB adapter in my panel a few years ago, but folks were reporting issues with induced noise with some of them, and I decided to skip it (at least for a while). My system is also quite neat, no exposed wires in the front cockpit to tangle up.
msandelving
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mattias
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: SEMOL
Airports: ESMG

Post by msandelving »

Our DA62 (62.C007) has USB A ports only. We are looking into upgrading them to USB C. Ideally, we would want the TA360 from True Blue Power. The dual USB-C version provides 2 x 60W:

https://www.truebluepowerusa.com/produc ... rts/ta360/

Looking at the wiring diagram for the DA62 it shows a 2A fuse/circuit breaker for the USB port. This is not enough current to power the TA360 ports.

Per the TA360 installation manual, a 7A circuit breaker for each unit would be needed. Wiring to be made with 20 or 22 AWG depending on wire length.

https://www.truebluepowerusa.com/pdfs/T ... Manual.pdf

We are looking for someone to create an EASA Minor Change for us, so that we can have these installed. Anyone who is interested in joing?
Boatguy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:10 pm The USB outlets in my 2023 DA62, 62.C055 have one each, USB-A and USB-C.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

TA360 high power variants will fit in the rear but not enough space under main instrument panel. Double check dimensions before buying (in case I’m incorrect).
bayareacfi
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Registration: N264LA
Airports: KHWD

Post by bayareacfi »

My DA-62 (delivered last year) has USB-C but the power output is certainly not PD. It barely charges my ipad when it's on and connected to connext/foreflight with the screen on. It does, however, prevent the ipad from discharging so it's still useful.
msandelving
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mattias
Aircraft Registration: SEMOL
Airports: ESMG

Post by msandelving »

VickersPilot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:51 pm TA360 high power variants will fit in the rear but not enough space under main instrument panel. Double check dimensions before buying (in case I’m incorrect).
Thanks for the info! BTW, do you know where the 2A fuse is located (as per the wiring diagram)? Could it be a glass fuse? I was unable to find a matching 2A circuit breaker on the instrument panel. Just trying to figure out how much work it would be for the EASA minor change.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

bayareacfi wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:33 pm My DA-62 (delivered last year) has USB-C but the power output is certainly not PD. It barely charges my ipad when it's on and connected to connext/foreflight with the screen on. It does, however, prevent the ipad from discharging so it's still useful.

One of the things I was reminded about on a recent trip is that the iPad stops charging when it gets too warm (but before it gets hot to the point where it will automatically shut down). This is another plausible explanation of the behavior you describe.

I use my iPad Mini 6 as a kneeboard. It can quickly warm up to the point where charging is suspended. If there is sun shining on it, it will reach the point where it will shut down unless I turn it off or hold it up to the air vent to cool it down.

Canopy mounts that allow the air vent to cool the back of the iPad (or perhaps the kneeboard mounts with built-in fans) likely avoid this.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

chili4way wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:49 pm Canopy mounts that allow the air vent to cool the back of the iPad (or perhaps the kneeboard mounts with built-in fans) likely avoid this.
I also use a Mini 6 as a kneeboard. I use the My Clip strap which leaves 90% of the iPad exposed to ambient air, but as Paul writes, direct sun will still cause it to overheat. Charging will cease before it overheats since charging causes further heating.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

The problem with using iPad as a kneeboard is moving head down and up. In IMC when you’re cross checking approach plates it can be confusing if not dangerous. iPad in field of view (glare shield or attachment mounted) is much better solution for various reasons, cooling included.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ememic99 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:42 am The problem with using iPad as a kneeboard is moving head down and up. In IMC when you’re cross checking approach plates it can be confusing if not dangerous. iPad in field of view (glare shield or attachment mounted) is much better solution for various reasons, cooling included.
Where do you keep checklists?