Economics of keeping plane in a hangar

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Economics of keeping plane in a hangar

Post by Steve »

manatee wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:41 pm...The only thing I dislike about the hangar is the Maryland Transportation Airport Police or whatever they are called prefer to take naps in their car in front of my hangar since it's in a discreet corner of the airport. I can think of two instances I had to idle in front of their car and flash the lights until they woke up and moved. One other time I had to exit the plane and knock on the car window...
BWI has Ground. I would call them and ask them to wake up the driver. I assume that having everyone (including his bosses) hear that he is asleep, would encourage him to not pull that again. My home field is uncontrolled, but I have had the occasional truck parked in front of my hangar when I returned from a flight. I bought one of these, which I keep in the side pocket:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B ... UTF8&psc=1

It is loud enough to wake the dead.
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

If you don't want your hangar at KPAE, can I have it? :)
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

Regarding the economics - not to wax philosophical, but this has that feel of "it's not cost effective for me to take care of something" which implies that at a certain price, everything is a disposable product. I'd rather take pride in how I'm taking care of something as long as it's financially feasible and I have the time. I'm already lamenting how little time I have to baby my plane.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Economically, nothing makes sense in owning an airplane anyways.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

In Minnesota we need hangars to keep the planes from being buried by snow in the winter. I've not seen any planes on tie-downs. At my airport (KFCM) private hangars are hard to come by, but I live 20 min away and the airport has multiple runways and approaches so that's why I'm there. My DA40 is hangared at an unheated FBO hangar. They pull it out for me, fuel it, and put it away when I'm done. No hangar rash so far. They also plug in the heater when I call ahead. I can get to my plane whenever I want for cleaning, etc. The cost is $400 per month. The current hangar is being demolished next year and a larger and heated replacement hangar is being built. I'm not sure I really want my own hangar even if one becomes available. Does anyone else have good or bad experiences hangaring at a FBO?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

mfdutra wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:34 pm Economically, nothing makes sense in owning an airplane anyways.
The occasional practice of computing cost per operating hour should be used sparingly. If boat owners did that the marinas would be empty. It's a hobby, not an investment.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

If I ran the numbers down to the last penny, I would sell the airplane. I either can afford it, or I can't. That simple. It's not like I have another life and need the money for that.

I hope I don't regret later. :D
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Post by FlyingPenguin »

mfdutra wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:01 pm If I ran the numbers down to the last penny, I would sell the airplane. I either can afford it, or I can't. That simple. It's not like I have another life and need the money for that.

I hope I don't regret later. :D
Totally agreed with you on this. For me, number don’t add up to keep the plane. But, I like having it. Only life once right?

Hangers fees. I am down in LA basin. I wanted to be at either KSNA or KLGB. At KSNA, I got a quote for about $1600/mo parked at the south ramp (outdoors). For about $500 more, I was able to secured a hanger space at OCR Aviation at KLGB. I opted to keep it in the hanger. It’s expensive to hanger a plane!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:05 pm Hangers fees. I am down in LA basin. I wanted to be at either KSNA or KLGB. At KSNA, I got a quote for about $1600/mo parked at the south ramp (outdoors). For about $500 more, I was able to secured a hanger space at OCR Aviation at KLGB. I opted to keep it in the hanger. It’s expensive to hanger a plane!
So you're paying $2,100 / mo for a hangar at KLGB?

My 50' hangar at KSTS was bumped up in July from $463 to $510.

Hangar rents vary widely!
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Boatguy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:36 pm
FlyingPenguin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:05 pm Hangers fees. I am down in LA basin. I wanted to be at either KSNA or KLGB. At KSNA, I got a quote for about $1600/mo parked at the south ramp (outdoors). For about $500 more, I was able to secured a hanger space at OCR Aviation at KLGB. I opted to keep it in the hanger. It’s expensive to hanger a plane!
So you're paying $2,100 / mo for a hangar at KLGB?

My 50' hangar at KSTS was bumped up in July from $463 to $510.

Hangar rents vary widely!
Yup, $2040 to be exact. A good hanger space in LA basin is big $$! Oh, keep in mind, OCR is like a FBO, full service. So, more $$. I called them in advance, the plane is on the ramp when I get there. After I land, just park it on the ramp and they will put it way.