Iridium Go Exec PIREP

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Iridium Go Exec PIREP

Post by michael.g.miller »

I posted this over on COPA, but figured it would be of value to Diamond owners. Especially because many of us have diesel engines that let us travel to more "off the grid" places than your typical GA pilot!

I recently acquired an Iridium Go Exec. It’s a portable (ok, maybe a little big and heavy…) device which gives reliable worldwide voice and data (at 88kbps download / 22kbps upload. and ~$4/MB…). I also own an Iridium 9575 satphone (which I’ll probably sell soon), so that’s what I’ll be comparing with the Go Exec.

My mission is… everything. I recently got back from flying my DA42 around the world, and I live in Puerto Rico where I use my bird to island hop every weekend. Previously, I had the satphone in case of emergencies, and for ATC reports (as over the high seas, you don’t have VHF communication coverage). In short, only for essential operational voice use.

My 9575 satphone was a bit cumbersome to use. The plane is too loud to use the satphone directly against your ear, so I had to patch it into my headset using a mess of wires and a converter box. In addition, I needed to use an antenna on the glareshield. This meant I had to unpack a lot to get the satphone functional, and put it away before landing. In practice, I found myself only using it for when I was required to do so for ATC position reports over the high seas. There were places where I would have used a satphone if convenient (call FBO to have them book hotel / rental car, update customs ETA), but I didn’t because it was a PITA to setup.

That said, the 9575 did what it was advertised to do. It gave me near-100% reliable worldwide voice coverage, which is worth a lot when you’re flying in remote locations with no VHF comms, other than an overhead airliner.

The Iridium Go Exec is not exactly a satphone… it’s more of a portable internet device with an antenna. You use it connected to a smartphone via Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. It’s a bit heavy/bulky, but I can squeeze it on top of my DA42’s economic glaresheild if I’m OK with the antenna touching the canopy.
IMG_6708.jpg
The main upgrades over the satphone (for me) are:
  • I can connect my phone to it, which means I can use bluetooth through my normal phone / A20 headset to make calls in flight. No mess of wires.
  • I can use standard iMessage / WhatsApp to text friends, which means they see my normal number instead of +8816
  • The call quality is substantially improved. Not the same as a landline, but completely usable, I don’t have to ask anyone to repeat themselves
  • I have access to (somewhat) usable data for accessing weather
  • It has a built in antenna, so no need to mess with external antenna wires
  • (minor) It has a standard USB-C port for charging, and another USB-C port to act as a battery bank
My main motivation for upgrading was the ability to get in-cockpit weather. While Puerto Rico has a Nexrad receiver that shows weather ~100nm from the island, beyond that, you’re on your own. There are some ground based weather dishes on surrounding islands, but my XM receiver won’t pick them up, and ADS-B doesn’t broadcast. Most people use an app called Golze for this: https://golze.tech/ - which seems to work great for a corridor weather download around the world. However, it’s ~€400/year. Before plunking that kind of dough down, I wanted to see if Windy would work to view weather radar.

The short is… it does, kind of. I did a sample test in-flight where I downloaded the radar in flight for a small region. I was able to get this picture in probably 2-3 minutes, using ~2MB of data.
IMG_6709.jpg
Probably costs $6 to get that picture… but if you need it, you need it!

Overall I’m happy with the upgrade. While the data is neither blazing fast nor cheap, it does work, and enhances my cockpit experience today. I’m mostly intending to use the device for low-bandwidth texting on iMessage / WhatsApp which it does beautifully. I know there’s probably more exciting tech down the pike with Starlink-type speeds in cockpit, but this is available today and is a huge game changer on almost every flight.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Iridium Go Exec PIREP

Post by Boatguy »

If the primary motivation was weather, then this sounds like a lot of moving parts, but less expensive, than onboard radar.

Is this then all about affordability as compared with onboard radar?
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Not too many moving parts! Just the device and my phone.

I’d say my two main purposes are communication (via iMessage / WhatsApp / phone) and weather with about equal weight.

Onboard radar would absolutely be a great addition, but I can’t justify that kind of upgrade on my 2006 DA42NG.
renewdoit
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tian
Aircraft Registration: N72RE
Airports: WSSL

Post by renewdoit »

What data plan did you buy for Iridium Go Exec?
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

The cheapest I could find was satphonestore: https://www.satphonestore.com/airtime/i ... -exec.html

I got the 25 M which comes out to $103.95 after taxes. They said they had customers all over the world, even in Israel, so I'm sure FedExing to Singapore wouldn't be an issue.

PS - great to meat a WSSL based pilot. I passed through Wings Over Asia on my trip around the world. A great respite in a world usually inhospitable to GA. I do not envy the handling fees y'all pay in Malaysia / Indonesia though! Woof, they are steep!
renewdoit
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tian
Aircraft Registration: N72RE
Airports: WSSL

Post by renewdoit »

Thank you very much for sharing! The information and the link are precious.

Flying in Southeast Asia is a bit difficult. However, the number of GA pilots is increasing.