DA40 2023 starter engaged uncommanded during flight

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Re: DA40 2023 starter engaged uncommanded during flight

Post by Donkadillapig »

Guys,
I had the starter MSB done at SouthTec on Monday during a routine oil change (and sample of course). Mine too was wired incorrectly, I think they said it's the ground wire that has been misplaced. (its like drinking from the fire hose anytime I am there and the cowling is off ;)
If it helps anyone mine was a 2021 model delivered in April '21.

And on the QA... yup! I've locked up on what was logically for me the DA62 upgrade path. For the sake of my own mental health, I'm not going to spend 1.8M on a product that is (2?) more likely 3 years away, will arrive with obsolete technology installed and be plagued by BS QA issues. All the while being treated like garbage during the whole process. Having gone through a taste of that buying the 40, no thanks. May be a fault in my nature I concede, but that's stress, uncertainty and bitterness in my life I need less than a piston twin at this point.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I don't see a fault in your nature. I fail to understand why people continue to spend this kind of money on Diamond products when there have been years of complaints regarding QC, product upgrades, Austro deficiencies, lack of communications, poor attitude of company towards customers, etc. Yes, they are beautiful, have great handling qualities and the occupants are well protected in a crash.

I'm waiting for the "there are no better choices" argument.
N301MJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Registration: N301mj
Airports: Khef

Post by N301MJ »

Donkadillapig wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:25 am Guys,
I had the starter MSB done at SouthTec on Monday during a routine oil change (and sample of course). Mine too was wired incorrectly, I think they said it's the ground wire that has been misplaced. (its like drinking from the fire hose anytime I am there and the cowling is off ;)
If it helps anyone mine was a 2021 model delivered in April '21.

And on the QA... yup! I've locked up on what was logically for me the DA62 upgrade path. For the sake of my own mental health, I'm not going to spend 1.8M on a product that is (2?) more likely 3 years away, will arrive with obsolete technology installed and be plagued by BS QA issues. All the while being treated like garbage during the whole process. Having gone through a taste of that buying the 40, no thanks. May be a fault in my nature I concede, but that's stress, uncertainty and bitterness in my life I need less than a piston twin at this point.
What else are you looking at? Glad Southtec was able to get yours taken care of. How many hours on your airframe? My issue started at 30 hrs
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Donkadillapig wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:25 am And on the QA... yup! I've locked up on what was logically for me the DA62 upgrade path. For the sake of my own mental health, I'm not going to spend 1.8M on a product that is (2?) more likely 3 years away, will arrive with obsolete technology installed and be plagued by BS QA issues. All the while being treated like garbage during the whole process. Having gone through a taste of that buying the 40, no thanks.
Perhaps because Wanfeng's core business was selling to manufacturers, not end users, they have no appreciation or interest in the private owner customer experience. The company leadership in Austria is focused on fleet and government sales (i.e., 40's for training, 42/62 MPP, and DART military trainers) and puts zero resources towards private owners. After seven years of ownership the private owner experience has only gotten worse so it doesn't seem reasonable to expect any improvement. It is what it is. It's quite ironic that Cirrus, which is literally owned by the Chinese Government, provides a better customer experience than a privately held company like Wanfeng.

WRT to manufacturing, Wanfeng's core business of making metal auto parts is certainly much simpler than making a certified aircraft and aircraft engines so they didn't bring any sophisticated QA or process control expertise to Diamond.

The bad taste and frustration from the purchase experience passes a year or so after delivery. Airplanes have a long life cycle and the poor manufacturing QA issues get sorted out during the warranty period, though it requires too many trips to the too few DSCs.

After the warranty period, the issues here don't seem much different than on other type club forums. There is no shortage of EFATO stories, "blown jugs", and avionics and electrical system mysteries on piston GA planes in general; it's not an area where Diamond seems to have any particular distinction. Sharing our problems here undoubtedly creates the impression that there are more problems that occur more frequently. It's important to remember that not every owner experiences every issue. Ultimately the sharing contributes to faster solutions for anyone who does experience a specific problem.

We're here because we aren't kit builders, want a plane that was designed in the last 30yrs, can't afford an SETP or don't need those capabilities, and like the flight characteristics of the Diamonds. Buyers can work the system and shop for a distributor rather than taking the default distributor assigned by Diamond, but ultimately the distributor can only provide so much veneer over Diamond's lack of interest in private owners.

DPA is trying to develop a relationship with Diamond and advocate for private owners. They deserve our support as we have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they are successful.

Considering the tiny size of the market, GA has a staggering number of choices. I've made my choice, accept Diamond for who they are today with no expectations for improvement, and like flying my plane.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I read a lot of moaning and groaning in this forum but, from my experience, I have to say that I am absolutely delighted with my DA62 and the truly excellent service I receive from both DAI Germany and Austria.

Nothing is too much trouble and every time I get out of my aircraft, I still get that wow factor in flying a SAFE, well-designed and extremely capable aircraft.
N301MJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by N301MJ »

I wanted to provide an update on my aircraft as it has been awhile. 1MJ is currently still in maintenance, 3 months later. After further inspection Southtec found that my fuel system was contaminated with large quantities of water and that the seals within both gas caps on each wing were improperly installed, so water likely collected throughout the lengthy build process (~18 months) as well as when I had her on tiedowns before getting her hangered a month after delivery. This led to corrosion of the fuel injectors that were causing very high pressure readings. I am not sure if this caused the aux pump to go early, but that was also replaced.

There was only 30 hours on this plane. We are awaiting new injectors from Diamond and hopefully once those are replaced we can get back in the air, but I am concerned about any other potential damages.

Will provide another update once the injectors are replaced.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

N301MJ wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:20 pm I wanted to provide an update on my aircraft as it has been awhile.
This is a sad saga. QA at the London factory is a persistent problem.

Just to be clear, the seals were incorrectly installed during manufacturing in London? I'm confused by the 18 mo build reference. Where was the plane sitting outside for 18 mo?

Did you ever see water when you sumped the tanks and gascolator?

I wasn't aware that water in the fuel can damage the injectors, that's useful information.

Has Diamond extended your warranty period?
N301MJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by N301MJ »

Our plane was delayed 3 times during manufacture. We were given a 9 mo build time expecting delivery Sept 2022. It was delayed twice after that then finally we took delivery late April 2023. The seals on each gas cap were not properly set in place, which allowed water to collect in the fuel system. I sumped it in on delivery and there was fluid separation, but what I was told was that was prist/non prist. Southtec advised that is incorrect and as it was over 1.5 liters of water!!

I emailed diamond over a month ago about our case and have not had any return calls/emails since. I believe the support case I opened was on Nov 6 timeframe.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

If you're like a number of other new owners, myself included, the plane was not actually under construction during the delays. A DA62 takes about six months to actually build and I suspect a DA40NG is a little less.

Did you take delivery at the factory, or from a distributor?

I've had both prist and non-prist fuel in my tanks in the last two weeks (some locations have only a pre-mix with prist) and I've never seen any visible separation. Who told you the separation was prist / non-prist? Factory or distributor? Bad factory QA compounded by bad information.

I assume Diamond has covered all the parts and labor work under warranty, but they also owe you a warranty extension for all the AOG time. Once you have the plane in hand and know how long you were AOG, I suggest nagging your distributor for some assistance in getting Diamond to extend your warranty period.
N301MJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by N301MJ »

Boatguy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 am If you're like a number of other new owners, myself included, the plane was not actually under construction during the delays. A DA62 takes about six months to actually build and I suspect a DA40NG is a little less.

Did you take delivery at the factory, or from a distributor?

I've had both prist and non-prist fuel in my tanks in the last two weeks (some locations have only a pre-mix with prist) and I've never seen any visible separation. Who told you the separation was prist / non-prist? Factory or distributor? Bad factory QA compounded by bad information.

I assume Diamond has covered all the parts and labor work under warranty, but they also owe you a warranty extension for all the AOG time. Once you have the plane in hand and know how long you were AOG, I suggest nagging your distributor for some assistance in getting Diamond to extend your warranty period.
The distributor delivered the aircraft from the factory. We have requested a warranty extension so hopefully that gets approved among other things. Will keep you guys posted on how things go with the new injectors.