3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Jet shades installation

Post by Zebedee »

Getting ready to order the new jet shades for the DA62. Reviewing the installation manual, they now use a stick on velcro type clip. Seems you stick it to the frame round the window.

I have major apprehensions on "Sticking" anything to my plane that could damage the surface if it ever had to be removed.

I believe I would be gluing the clip to plastic and not to an alcantara covering, but I am not 100% sure on that. Seems like the Alcantara is around the windows. Not sure anything will stick to that or if I even want to stick anything to it.

Any help from those that have jet shades, especially the newer style with 3M clips.

Jim
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Jet shades installation

Post by Boatguy »

I saw that in the install instructions as well, but I think the instructions are generic and that applies to the 42/40. In my 40NG I did stick velcro to the canopy to hold them in place.

In my DA62 they were a friction fit. The fit was not at all perfect and I still need to trim the pilot side panel to reduce the bowing away from the plexiglass. One of my panels was also mis-labeled which confused me for about 5min until I figured it out.

FWIW, I saw the Diamond shades in the back of this MPP at the factory. They are clearly a different product than Jet Shades, but I have no idea if they work better or not. The fit looked similar to the Jet Shades.
Attachments
IMG_5734.jpeg
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

I also didn't stick them to my DA62. They hold very firmly with friction. The fit isn't perfect, but good enough. And they're very effective, and clearly necessary with our crappy A/C.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I have the factory installed shades on my DA62 and they are attached via clips which are fixed to the inside windows. Occasionally, one comes loose but, in general, they do the job nicely and protects the passengers from the sun when flying above the clouds.
Zebedee
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Post by Zebedee »

Marlon,

Are you saying that the thinner version 2 shades will stay inplace with friction and not require gluing on the clips ??

Nigel,
Do you think the shades you have are made by Jet shades?

What year are your shades and are they the "thinner" jet shade type?

Can you confirm that the factory shades install via clips that are secured to the window and not alcantara etc.

Many thanks for all your help

Jim
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The Diamond shades are entirely different than the Jet Shades. I'm pretty sure the JetShades are a 3M film (like I applied to the windows on my last boat) applied to clear plastic sheets. The Diamond shades look perforated. I think if you look closely in this picture, you can see the clips to which Nigel is referring. Interestingly, the shade has popped out of the clip. Click on the photo for higher res and larger.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 4.45.38 PM.jpg
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Zebedee wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:55 pm Are you saying that the thinner version 2 shades will stay inplace with friction and not require gluing on the clips ??
I don't know what you mean by "version 2". The ones I got with the airplane back in March, yes! No need to glue anything.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Hi Jim/Russ,

Yes, Russ picture shows the Diamond shade and clips.

The clips are affixed to the inside glass and the shades fit into the clips.

Nigel
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

mfdutra wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:19 am
Zebedee wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:55 pm Are you saying that the thinner version 2 shades will stay inplace with friction and not require gluing on the clips ??
I don't know what you mean by "version 2". The ones I got with the airplane back in March, yes! No need to glue anything.
For my DA62 I had the original JetShades (i.e., "version 1") that were made from a heavier material that unfortunately delaminated and developed bubbles. So JetShades now sells thinner "version 2" JetShades that make use of a different material.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I have the newer JetShades in my DA62. With the exception of the pilot window, they fit pretty well out of the box. Still working on getting the pilot window sorted… but it’s close. I haven’t needed any clips on my install. I enlisted the help of two pilot friends who did all the other windows for me en route to OSH from Houston and we did the pilot window during a fuel stop in Dubuque. They help a lot during the Texas summer that’s for sure.