Video of wake turbulence knocking a light aircraft out the sky, plus avoidance tips

Any DA20 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Video of wake turbulence knocking a light aircraft out the sky, plus avoidance tips

Post by CFIDave »

A few months ago I decided to practice landings (pattern work) in our Epic E1000 at nearby Martinsburg, WV (KMRB) with its nice long wide 8000 foot runway and usually very little traffic. KMRB has an FBO with GA operations on the south side, but the north side is military where multiple 4-engine 500,000 pound wide-body C-17 transport aircraft are based.

Just as I arrived, a C-17 crew *also* decided to practice multiple landings. The KMRB tower had us fly left traffic patterns, with the C-17 assigned right traffic patterns doing touch-and-go's. (The Epic actually requires "stop-and-go's" on the runway since it's necessary to stop and add right electric rudder trim before every takeoff to counter the torque from 1200 hp.) Both we and the C-17 flew around the pattern 5 times, alternating our landings.

On every downwind I very carefully watched where the C-17 touched down on the runway, so I could make sure I touched down beyond that point. And I lifted off before the point where the C-17 rotated. It all worked out very nicely, completely avoiding any wake turbulence.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Video of wake turbulence knocking a light aircraft out the sky, plus avoidance tips

Post by Colin »

(Thread Drift)

If you were doing a go around you wouldn't get to stop and add electric rudder trim, so do you just use the rudder pedals? Could you be a little gentle with the application of power?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Colin wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:08 pmIf you were doing a go around you wouldn't get to stop and add electric rudder trim, so do you just use the rudder pedals? Could you be a little gentle with the application of power?
You're correct that you don't have time to quickly add the electric rudder trim on a go-around, but you're already flying an Epic at 95 knots (Vref) on short final, with rudder pedals (and smooth application of throttle) sufficient to control the torque when adding power. During Epic factory training I demonstrated this multiple times. But on the runway when intending to rotate before the point where a C-17 rotated, I needed to apply full power for takeoff.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

CFIDave wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:44 pm On every downwind I very carefully watched where the C-17 touched down on the runway, so I could make sure I touched down beyond that point. And I lifted off before the point where the C-17 rotated. It all worked out very nicely, completely avoiding any wake turbulence.
Do you know how far behind you C-17 you were in time when you landed past their touchdown?

And on the takeoffs, how much time was between the C-17 roll and your roll? You were climbing faster and made a left turnout while the C-17 went right? That seems like the ideal situation, but not always the case in the real world.