5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Using iPhone as ForeFlight EFB platform

Post by Rich »

I thought I’d try that out today instead of my usual iPad. It was mounted in the normal iPad location, centered over the power quadrant. It definitely is a workable approach, as I can mount it as close to my eyeballs as I care to. This compensates to a degree for the smaller screen. It’s an iPhone 14 Pro (not Max, which is a bit larger). The only bit of inherent limitation is that AHRS/synthetic vision is a separate screen from the rest of the app, but you can switch to/from it in a fraction of a second and it works fine.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Re: Using iPhone as ForeFlight EFB platform

Post by Mjwatlanta »

I too tried my iPhone. But mine is a mini. Certainly not the best, but quite workable if my iPad died. It fits in the same mount as my mid sized iPad - a stalk that is floor mounted on hump between rear footwells.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

I always keep my iPhone on as a backup, especially in the summer when inadvertently leaving the iPad in the sun can cause overheating. Usually I clip my Otterbox holster to my seatbelt about chest high so it is always within reach. Also handy when I want to control Bluetooth music to my A20's.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Sort of hi jacking the thread, but overheating the iPad is a real issue. Thus the phone as a backup is important. I bought this gadget to reduce overheating problems. When I bought it, I had low expectations. But it’s well worth it so far.
MOMOFLY Tablet Cooler for ipad [Minimum 21.2℉ Cold to Freezing] Magnetic Phone Radiator for iPhone 12~14 Series,MagSafe Compatible,Advanced Tablet Cooling Technology for Mobile Gaming Streaming

MOMOFLY Tablet Cooler for ipad [Minimum 21.2℉ Cold to Freezing] Magnetic Phone Radiator for iPhone 12~14 Series,MagSafe Compatible,Advanced Tablet Cooling Technology for Mobile Gaming Streaming
Roll over image to zoom in

VIDEO
Visit the MOMOFLY Store
4.2 out of 5 stars (4.2) 47 ratings
Lowest price in 30 days
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Where I mount my iPad mini the eyeball vent blows on the back of it and I have never had an overheat issue.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

My iPads have never overheated in flight because of where they have been mounted, out of the sun. There is some outside air that comes up through the power quadrant slots which could also be a factor.

Back to the original topic, I took the next step of pairing/connecting the iPhone to the FS210 to check out the flight plan transfer. Not surprisingly it works just like the iPad. I have yet to see what ramifications there might be having both connected simultaneously.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:38 pm My iPads have never overheated in flight because of where they have been mounted, out of the sun.
Yes, they are mounted in Oregon! :D

Try that in South TX! With my old mount, I had to frequently remove the iPad, and hold it in front of the panel vent to cool it down. I now have an X-naut active cooling mount that has 2 fans in it and runs off AA batteries or a USB port. I haven't had an overheat warning since I installed that...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:23 pm
Rich wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:38 pm My iPads have never overheated in flight because of where they have been mounted, out of the sun.
Yes, they are mounted in Oregon! :D

Try that in South TX! With my old mount, I had to frequently remove the iPad, and hold it in front of the panel vent to cool it down. I now have an X-naut active cooling mount that has 2 fans in it and runs off AA batteries or a USB port. I haven't had an overheat warning since I installed that...
A fair point. But it’s not like I don’t deal with temperature extremes when I travel. And 100-degree temperatures, though rare, are not unheard of here in Eastern Oregon. 80-plus degrees are common in summer (right now temperature at the airport is 83 degF). My personal experience is that there are two things that I need to avoid: 1) Direct sunlight on the screen. 2) Full screen brightness on the iPad. The mounting position in my plane takes care of #1. As for #2, full screen brightness is never necessary if the sun isn’t shining right on the screen (see #1).
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I Mount my iPad on the right pillar and my iPhone 13 Pro Max on the left pillar (see photo) for back-up, using RAM mounts, which works well. Like Colin, both are positioned right in front of the air blowers, so always stay cool.
Attachments
iPhone mounted to left
iPhone mounted to left
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I did some practice approaches today. iPad in its usual position and the phone suction-mounted to the canopy. With both devices up and running simultaneously the behavior is as I'd hoped: Send FP from iPad -> 530 and it relays it to the iPhone (as well as the 430 via crossfill, of course). Phone is NOT in airplane mode so I see incoming texts, emails, etc. I'm finding it handy to put the plate up on the iPhone and leave the iPad uncluttered. The only downside is that I got duplicate flights for acceptance into the logbook. Accepted one and deleted the other.