1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jorge
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports: Kgpm

Re: XLS or NG?

Post by Jtrevino »

With regards to hangar space, I read the NG is about 1’ shorter than the Avgas models, can you still fit the Avgas plane in a 40’ T-hangar?
Thanks
Jorge Trevino
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Jtrevino wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:49 am With regards to hangar space, I read the NG is about 1’ shorter than the Avgas models, can you still fit the Avgas plane in a 40’ T-hangar?
It's possible as long the door opening is 40' wide. This old thread has several examples and links to other threads.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

gkaplan wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:09 am
CFIDave wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:25 pm I've been using that file for DA40NG transition training for years, but it's an older presentation. In particular, there are a few things in this presentation that have changed or I disagree with:
1. They suggest a windmilling engine restart in the air, which Diamond has now discredited since it requires replacement of the engine's timing chain. Instead, use the starter after pitching up to stop the prop. (Of course in a single-engine airplane, intentional engine shut-downs/restarts in flight aren't practiced. But pilots who may later transition from the DA40NG to a Diamond twin need to learn the proper restart procedure.)
2. Diamond shows a DA40NG power setting of 60% on level downwind for flying traffic patterns/circuits; In my experience 50% works better, followed by 20% power when abeam the numbers to begin descent to the runway. (I'm sure other DA40NG pilots have their own opinions on this.)
3. The "Control Surfaces Gust Lock" photo needs to be updated, since the gust lock can only be attached to the CO-PILOT rudder pedals in newer DA40NGs, not the pilot rudder pedals (as with older DA40s).
Dave,
Is there anything documented that supports #1 about a windmilling engine? The latest version of their checklist has a "Windmill Engine Start" and a red boxed statement that reads "Do not consider starter assisted restart if propeller has stopped". The AFM further explains that if the propeller has stopped, it is probably a mechanical issue blocking it (since it won't windmill) so the starter shouldn't be used. But where do you see anything that says, "If it is windmilling, you should pitch up to stop the windmill, then use the starter"?
Thanks
I guess we need to distinguish between abnormal engine stoppage vs. shutdown purposely performed for training purposes (in Diamond twins only, not recommended in a single-engine DA40NG) or caused by pilot error. There's lots of DA42NG/-VI and DA62 documentation about not using windmilling starts anymore on Austro Diamond twins because it requires replacement of the timing chain. That prohibition would seem to apply to a DA40NG if its Austro engine were accidentally shut down and needed to be restarted in the air: for example if the pilot accidentally switched off the engine master instead of the electric fuel pump (it's happened). With sufficient altitude, pitch up to stop the prop and use the starter to prevent engine damage -- just like in a Diamond twin.

But if a DA40NG engine *failure* occurred in flight (i.e., it stopped for an unknown reason), then follow Diamond's checklist guidance and try a windmilling start -- it's easier and faster. If this successfully restarts the engine, then the need to replace the timing chain afterwards would be a minor annoyance compared to the risk an off-airport "dead stick" landing.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
erchegyia
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: HBSGV
Airports: LSZH

Post by erchegyia »

CFIDave wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:17 pm for example if the pilot accidentally switched off the engine master instead of the electric fuel pump (it's happened).
I rather wonder what happens after the electric master goes off. If my understanding is correct the engine continues to run till you don't turn it back on. Then the ECUs recycle, so it stops briefly and starts by itself (provided the engine master stays ON)?!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The electric master going off doesn't affect the engines. They run just fine on backup ECU batteries. I've flown in Diamond twins where the pilot accidentally shut off the electric master in flight. This shuts down the G1000, but engines keep on running. Turning the electric master back on in flight doesn't disrupt the engines, either.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

You have a very strong heart, Dave, I'd have needed a pacemaker for a student turning off the master on me in a Diamond Twin.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)