4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Re: Discussion With Diamond Canada

Post by mfdutra »

I also preferred the "radar ready" thing than getting a GWX70. This is my first airplane with radar and I'm still alive after years without one. And it's not like I'm going to seek convective sigmets once I have it. But now that I've paid north of $45k for it, I want my radar! ;)

The thing I'm missing the most from the Cirrus is the other phase 3 features, especially visual approaches. I can approach and land just fine without it, but those things are nice to have. I really missed animated nexrad on my latest trip, but ForeFlight compensates for that a bit.

Overall, I'm also enjoying the plane quite a bit. Still debugging it. So many little issues. At least I have a service center in my home field.
Zebedee
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Post by Zebedee »

Since my original post of my conversations with Diamond Canada, a few of you have kind of run with this thread.

Diamond did follow up from my last call with answers to my questions and I appreciate the time they took to do so.

I think the "radar" discussion got a little crazy. Diamond said that if you want a '75 radar you can certainly have it. If it has not been certified by Transport Canada by the time your plane is ready, then the Radar Ready option is a good compromise.

They did not have a specific date it might get certified, but I'm sure that it is out of their control. I do feel that Diamond "could" have sought certification closer to GXW75 release date, but that time is well in the past and I feel they are doing their best now to get caught up. Since the '8000 radar is only a software update, that buys them time to get current before the '8500(?) is released.

They assured me that unsold '70 radars could be returned for full credit and delays in certification of the '75 had nothing to do with the number of '70 models remaining.

So far I am pleased with he communication from Diamond itself, and hope that communication from my dealer improves as I get closer to delivery.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Zebedee wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:09 am So far I am pleased with he communication from Diamond itself, and hope that communication from my dealer improves as I get closer to delivery.
You are very fortunate to be having communication directly with the factory. They normally force all communication to be through the dealer's who do not always receive clear communications from the factory.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Since they are making the units why not get it installed and then have them disconnect the wire in the nose? You have the correct weight and balance, everything is set to go. All you have to do is plug it in and reload the proper software.

I mean, THEY are the ones saying that you could opt to have it installed.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Not even the radar circuit breaker is there. The radome is though, with the static protection.
Mgholt
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N500VR
Airports: KMCW

Post by Mgholt »

Boatguy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:16 pm
Zebedee wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:25 pm Just a couple things gleaned from discussion with Diamond Canada yesterday.

3. Very few production delays on DA62 right now.

4. Down to the last few GWX70 radars, after that '75s will be installed.
3. What do you think they meant by that? My plane was just delayed another two weeks. New orders still seem to be 24mo out so is that considered the new normal for a DA62 delivery?

4. Did they provide any information on when the GWX75 will be certified?
In my humble opinion, based on my experience, it seems to be the norm for Diamond to arbitrarily their purchase agreements to suit their needs. My plane was promised in contract for delivery in Q2 or Q3 of 2023. After sending in my additional 15% deposit, I was informed of the delay. In essence, I have provided DAI with an unsecured non interest baring loan.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The purchase agreements are at the whim of the distributor. But since the distributors have exclusive territories, unless you're willing to game the system, you're stuck with the agreement of the distributor in who's territory you reside.

My distributor demanded the last 10% of my deposit on Dec 31, an interesting date selection, while the contract calls for 90 days before delivery. The plane was delivered on May 11.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Boatguy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:34 pm The plane was delivered on May 11.
Russ, congrats on receiving delivery on your DA62!!
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

3. What do you think they meant by that? My plane was just delayed another two weeks. New orders still seem to be 24mo out so is that considered the new normal for a DA62 delivery?

FWIW Last week lifestyle told me the backlog is 3 years currently.
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

alanhawse wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:04 pm 3. What do you think they meant by that? My plane was just delayed another two weeks. New orders still seem to be 24mo out so is that considered the new normal for a DA62 delivery?

FWIW Last week lifestyle told me the backlog is 3 years currently.
Incredible. I would have thought that post "pandemic" + high interest rates + uncertain economy, backlog would start to decrease.