4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Re: Best Place for initial training

Post by ultraturtle »

Zebedee wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:43 pm Insurance said a minimum of 10 hours Dual and then 15 solo before carrying passengers.
Most cost effective solution would be to hire a CFII MEL on your home field to fly his required 5 hours in type with the DA62 delivery pilot (also CFII MEL) in order to instruct you for the required 10 hours. You'd sit in the back seat for those first 5 hours, and probably learn more than you would flying it yourself. The DA62 is ridiculously easy to fly, and in my opinion, does not require an instructor with more than 15 minutes of time in type to instruct an aviation professional with 25,000+ hrs of flight time.

PM me if your seller does not provide the initial 5 hrs instruction as part of the sales agreement. He should.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

As an aside, I elected to receive a cash credit in lieu of a direct payment for the 5 hours of included training; turned out that the cash credit paid for well more than 5 hours so it was worth it (I think it penciled out to about 9 hours of flight training). Depending on your situation, you might want to explore that with your dealer … just a thought.
Mike Jones
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: GFELC
Airports: EGBS

Post by Mike Jones »

Just a quick thumbs up for Angel City - I am here are the moment, they have clearly recognised that they have some weaknesses. Matthew Stuhler is quite new here and addressing many of the issues. New chief instructor just joined who seems good. I am doing ME IR in really nice DA42NG. Internal admin is Veronica who could not be more helpful. Rate on the DA42 is $450 + $100 for instruction. Being from the UK the aircraft density is a shock but they seem happy with my progress.
Waiting for DA62-277
Jimhartley
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: GGJIM
Airports: EGCM

Post by Jimhartley »

Mike Jones wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:24 pm Just a quick thumbs up for Angel City - I am here are the moment, they have clearly recognised that they have some weaknesses. Matthew Stuhler is quite new here and addressing many of the issues. New chief instructor just joined who seems good. I am doing ME IR in really nice DA42NG. Internal admin is Veronica who could not be more helpful. Rate on the DA42 is $450 + $100 for instruction. Being from the UK the aircraft density is a shock but they seem happy with my progress.
Are you putting your 62 on the N Reg Mike? I see your Cirrus is on the UK register. I’m going the other way, N reg Cirrus to the G reg 62. I’ve just done my MEP and MEIR at Gamston on the 62. A little more on the hourly rate but I want to be confident and competent in May when my 62.237 is ready (hopefully!).Whilst waiting I am flying some real world training to get used to all of the avionics, radar, FIKI etc… Loving it! The quality of training at Gamston has been superb.

Jim
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hello everyone,

Best place for initial training?

I used to fly at Angle City, but about 3 years ago, I moved to Horton Aviation based out of ACI North, at KSNA. Horton Aviation operates two DA42NG and 3 DA40. Great people there. I can not praise them enough. I did my IFR and MEL with Scott Horton there, and have basically stayed as a renter.

What I really like about Horton Aviation is the fact they operate out of the ACI North FBO. I have full access to the FBO, and when I fly the DA42, it’s full service at the ramp. I no longer have to park the plane or pull the plane into position for start up. The ACI ramp workers get the plane in position when I arrive. And, after I taxi back to the ramp, just stop and leave the plane for the ramp workers to reposition it. I tell you, that sold me to stay at Horton Aviation!

So, if you are in need of getting any training done, give them a look. Here is the link to their website.

Happy Flying! Thanks!

https://orangecountyflightinstruction.com/
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Post by Bryce »

For what it's worth, NW Wings in the Portland, OR area is $370/hr for the DA42, plus instructor fee (maybe $70/hr).

Bryce
N6KB DA62 Q3-2023. Now April 2024.
N524HS BE G36 2007 (Sold)
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

Zebedee wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:14 am I spoke with Berichi, their plane is in Canada getting new engines. Out of commission for now with sliding delays.
Thanks
Also looks like that plane is for sale. Not sure if it will be around after it get's new engines...
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

Deanrobert wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:01 pm Skill aviation Waukegan - good guys; did my 42 and 62 training
They are in the northern Chicago area; I would agree. They taught me to fly multi in a '42NG and when I picked up my '62 they helped me with delivery and with initial training. I know they have had several customers who transitioned into '62s.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

N157DA wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:45 pm
Zebedee wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:14 am I spoke with Berichi, their plane is in Canada getting new engines. Out of commission for now with sliding delays.
Thanks
Also looks like that plane is for sale. Not sure if it will be around after it get's new engines...
No TKS, no radar and yet high price … I’m not sure they’ll sell it easily. At least not for that money.
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Post by Bryce »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:31 am
N157DA wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:45 pm
Thanks
No TKS, no radar and yet high price … I’m not sure they’ll sell it easily. At least not for that money.
Also factor into the price a new paint job. They plastered their name all over it like a flying billboard!
N6KB DA62 Q3-2023. Now April 2024.
N524HS BE G36 2007 (Sold)
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead