5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Austro engine reliability and safety

Post by Rich »

NTSB information on in-flight engine failures is only marginally useful. To start with an engine failure in itself is not considered an accident worthy of NTSB attention. There must be other substantial damage to the plane (for which it appears a chute-pull qualifies), damage to structures on the ground, or injury to persons. Hence many engine failures don't appear in the NTSB database. Even when they do, oftentimes they are unable to determine the cause of the engine failure.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

"I'm mostly concerned about 1) what continues to remain unreported? For example, the incident of a low time DA40 NG engine failure in NY during training flight in IMC with the CFI happily landing successfully does not seem to now exist and 2) unless and until you're the statistic managing an engine failure all the data doesn't really amount to much.

Once Austro went ex-Mercedes I became nervous. It's so difficult to transition highly engineered technology that it may make sense to await real worl results for a long time before drawing a conclusion."

Not all engine failures become accidents. Those that are successfully landed won't show up in an NTSB report. Service difficulty reports (SDR) could theoretically provide information about engine failures and other mechanical problems but submitting those to the FAA is elective and often not done.

Mercedes sourced engines missed the high pressure fuel pump AD but are included in the piston MSB, so you never know. Good old Continental is currently inconveniencing a lot of pilots with crankshaft counterweights drama.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 11.07.37 AM.png
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
MWC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N26VV
Airports:

Post by MWC »

What was the follow-up on this ? Was the engine replacement $36K of $60k ??? (That's quite a w i d e delta ... )

neema wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:29 am Add our engine failure on a 42-VI to the mix. We had one let go on climb out earlier this week.

~1650 hours on the engine. Service center maintained. We’ve owned it since new. Ran at 75-85% in cruise it’s whole life. Engine wasn’t on the recent MSB

I’ll get more details when we can do a better post-mortem.

Interesting news I heard today is engine cost. Got a rough estimate at $36k for an OV exchange. I thought replacements were pushing $60k these days?
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

https://diamondaviators.net/forum/viewt ... 925#p97925 -- he later found out there is indeed no overhaul option. $150k for two including labor and tax.
MWC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N26VV
Airports:

Post by MWC »

Thanks, I stumbled on his listing after posting that and clearly, that confirms the recent 100% increase for replacing Austros.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Last night I was reading the March 2023 Aviation Consumer (a little behind on my reading) and stumbled across an article on the Beechcraft Baron 58, a legacy twin comparable to the DA42/62. There are a variety of model/engine variants with Continental engines, both normally aspirated and turbocharged. I was surprised to read that the TBO's were in the range of 1,400-1,700hrs, at a cost of $50-$60K / engine.

It seems like that provides some context for the Austro.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Boatguy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:42 am Last night I was reading the March 2023 Aviation Consumer (a little behind on my reading) and stumbled across an article on the Beechcraft Baron 58, a legacy twin comparable to the DA42/62. There are a variety of model/engine variants with Continental engines, both normally aspirated and turbocharged. I was surprised to read that the TBO's were in the range of 1,400-1,700hrs, at a cost of $50-$60K / engine.

It seems like that provides some context for the Austro.
300+ HP per engine… to add a bit more of context.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I'm on BeechTalk, which is an excellent aviation community.

A guy on there described losing one of the engines on his Baron. Even in cruise, I am uncertain of my chances of getting it right and making it down safely. I have never had the slightest doubt in the Twinstar. You can pick those planes up for what feels like a song these days, but my mechanic used to be all-Beech-all-the-time and he said it would eat me alive. "Worth it if you fly the hours, very painful if you don't."

If I lost one on takeoff I'm pretty sure it would not end well in a Baron. For me. I'm old and my reflexes are fading.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Colin wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:02 pm If I lost one on takeoff I'm pretty sure it would not end well in a Baron. For me. I'm old and my reflexes are fading.
300 hp asymmetric and a short wing. Yeah, good luck!

I agree with you. If I lost one engine power in the DA62 with decent height and I'm able to feather it, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Probably a bit anxious of losing the second one, if I couldn't determine the cause.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

The salesman who sold my DA40 to us was in a DA42 over Santa Barbara and lost an engine. He turned around and flew back to Long Beach. I think that's flying over six perfectly good airports along the way. But it is nice to be back home when you know the plane might be sitting for a while.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)