4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: Austro engine reliability and safety

Post by krellis »

Colin wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:57 pm The salesman who sold my DA40 to us was in a DA42 over Santa Barbara and lost an engine. He turned around and flew back to Long Beach. I think that's flying over six perfectly good airports along the way. But it is nice to be back home when you know the plane might be sitting for a while.
Not sure I would be boasting about a decision like that. Sounds like he was more concerned about convenience than safety.

If I did something like that in my former career, the FAA would probably have pulled my ticket even though a CFM56 is way more reliable than any Austro.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I spoke to a G650 pilot who said they lost an engine over ABQ and flew the plane up to Wichita where there was a better service center. (The service center communicated with them via that fancy texting system they have and suggested it.) It feels like one of those decisions which, with no passengers on board, is fine unless something goes wrong.

Technically it is possible that LGB is the longer runway of any of the airports except LAX. So skipping OXR, CMA, SMO, etc sort of makes sense.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Colin wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:48 pmTechnically it is possible that LGB is the longer runway of any of the airports except LAX. So skipping OXR, CMA, SMO, etc sort of makes sense.
Yeah, but >90 NM is a long way to fly in a twin with one engine out, if you don't have to. Of course, when I was in the Navy, we would routinely intentionally shut down an engine (loiter) over the middle of the Pacific Ocean to conserve fuel and extend mission duration:
Soviet Kilo class sub periscope
Soviet Kilo class sub periscope
Of course, we had three other engines turning, and could theoretically fly on two in our P3s...
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

There's a bit difference in reliability between jet and piston diesel engine. And there's also huge difference in drag in OEI situation between propeller (even feathered) and jet engine.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

While probably not violating any FAR’s, the pilot who overflew perfectly suitable airports with an engine out in a DA-42 was asking for trouble. I can only assume he didn’t declare an emergency, which was another mistake.

In Part 121 operations, we were required to “land at the nearest suitable airport, in point of time” if one engine of a twin engine airplane fails. I know Part 91 isn’t the same, but the prudent thing to do would have been to land at one of the closer airports.

Sorry, not buying the “LGB was a longer runway” excuse. He did it for convenience. Sad to see “professional” pilots act unprofessional.
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Post by Ed McDonald »

The G650 (and other multi-engine jets) are certified for 120, 180 or 208 minutes on a single engine so that was not a huge deal to overfly suitable airports to get to a maintenance facility. The Austro isn’t certified for that.

Years ago, a British Airways B747-400 lost an engine leaving LAX and continued to Heathrow on the remaining 3. Not the same issue as losing one of your two engines but the topic of lots of hangar discussion.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Ed McDonald wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:54 pmYears ago, a British Airways B747-400 lost an engine leaving LAX and continued to Heathrow on the remaining 3. Not the same issue as losing one of your two engines but the topic of lots of hangar discussion.
Ferry flight, cargo flight or revenue passenger flight?
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

Ed McDonald wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:54 pm The G650 (and other multi-engine jets) are certified for 120, 180 or 208 minutes on a single engine so that was not a huge deal to overfly suitable airports to get to a maintenance facility. The Austro isn’t certified for that.

Years ago, a British Airways B747-400 lost an engine leaving LAX and continued to Heathrow on the remaining 3. Not the same issue as losing one of your two engines but the topic of lots of hangar discussion.
As I’m sure you know, there are a long list of requirements for ETOPS and private jets operating under Part 91 are exempt anyway. Still don’t think it was a good idea for even the G650 to continue, as it appears that was also done for convenience. Absolutely no excuse in my (retired) professional opinion for the DA-42 pilot.

The BA flight flight was LAX-LHR, carrying passengers. Engine failed shortly after takeoff, but the crew continued and flew to the U.K. Had to land in MAN as they didn’t have enough fuel to make LHR (drag due to rudder trim and windmilling engine). Although technically legal under CAA rules, there was a lot of controversy over the crew’s decision to continue.
Jetblast
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: CGRHB
Airports: CYOW

Post by Jetblast »

Steve wrote: "Yeah, but >90 NM is a long way".

Depends in which country ;)

Not in all countries can you look down and see a handful of airports :)

Being a balloon pilot as well, I know the importance of not overflying a suitable landing spot.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »