First Name: Olivier
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: renting
Airports: EBGB - EBCI

New user presentation

Post by Olivier »

Dear All,

As a fresh registered user I wanted to introduce myself to you all,
I'm Olivier, 50, private pilot in Belgium flying Diamonds.

I have been a lurker on this forum since I started my PPL a decade ago
I never registered because I do not own a Diamond (yet)

I learned flying in a Da-20C1 at EBGB close to Brussels Belgium.
Loved every bit of it and I had a great time. I had opportunities to try out other aircraft such as the usual Cessnas and Pipers but always came back to the diamond.

I also have the opportunity to fly in the US with a friend owning a Piper at Martin State KMTN and I am always in shock when I realise how aviation is so different in the US versus in the EU.

Recently I was looking for new challenge and I started my night VFR which in Europe is not included in the PPL and needs a specific rating
I therefore started flying a DA40TDI G1000 at Brussels South EBCI.
I think now I prefer to fly at night than in broad daylight :)

Coming from an uncontrolled strip with a 600m runway to the hub of the Belgian low cost airlines in Belgium was quite a shock :) and I am more motivated than ever to continue to progress and find new challenges.
Once I get my night rating I will probably look towards an instructor course but my real goal is getting instrument rated.
it's a longer term goal and I am seriously considering coming to the US to do that when the time comes.

In the meantime, I hope you guys will let me enjoy your special little place. I have not much to bring you in return as the level of expertise is way above my own but I really enjoy learning and reading your posts.

Olivier
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Re: New user presentation

Post by arksat »

Olivier, welcome to the club!
Belgium is one of the places I want to visit. I agree that general aviation in the US is very open and forgiving. I'm originally from Japan, where the GA exists but is restricted.
Requiring a specific rating for the night VFR makes sense. It's more challenging but very rewarding :)

Enjoy your training and have safe flights!