2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N168
Airports: KEMT

NG vs XLT in light of Austro MSB

Post by pete423 »

I have a DA40NG that was originally scheduled to be delivered next month but Lifestyle informed me in Aug it got delayed until March even before this MSB. Should I assume that I will not be seeing the plane by March? There is a lot of engines/pistons to be replaced and overhauled. And from what I am understanding of the MSB, they will be shipping the defective(affected) engines on new delivery until they have a redesigned piston by early to mid 2023. Am I understanding that right?

I have read every pro and con on this board regarding the XLT vs NG debate. If I have the option to switch it to the XLT with the lycoming, would you guys suggest that I do that. I chose Diamond over Cirrus for its safety as I am a new low time pilot. The increased stall speed on the NG already worried me from the beginning and now this MSB is really making me reconsider the choice. The only concern I have with XLT is the resell value since Diamond and Lifestyle is pushing so hard on the NG.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Re: New MSB about to be issued

Post by Soareyes »

It would be avgas XLT for me all the way.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: NG vs XLT in light of Austro MSB

Post by Chris »

Even though I really like the two Austro engines on my DA42, if I were buying a DA40 in the USA, I would probably get the Lycoming XLT version. There's a lot to be said for being able to find somebody to service the engine anywhere if necessary. One caveat is that high-altitude performace will be more anemic on the Lycoming, e.g. if you foresee the need to fly over 12k MSL frequently. You might spend a bit more on fuel with the XLT, but you should make that up with lower ongoing maintenance costs.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I would be on the phone this morning to change my order to an XLT and wouldn't think twice.

The XLT has numerous advantages in my opinion and you touched on some. Lower stall speed, more reliable engine, parts and maintenance expertise availability to name a few. It's not nearly as smooth, uses more of a more expensive fuel, hot starting requires some finesse. It loses power above sea level being normally aspirated.

Should you have to land engine out, the lower stall speed greatly reduces the energy that has to be absorbed.

I think the DA40-180 is one of the prettiest small single-engine airplanes made. The NG cowling ruined the sleek lines in my opinion.

The Lycoming IO-360-M series is one of the most reliable piston engines out there. We had one starter go bad on ours when we had it (warranty item) - which really had nothing to do with the core engine. My neighbor has 3920 hours on his as of last week. He was stranded once with a bad coil in a mag - which the local A&P had a replacement part. There are PMA's parts available, so you are not tied to a single supply source for most engine parts. Granted, many engine parts are scarce today. You can also overhaul a Lycoming - which was originally a touted benefit of the Austro, but unfortunately, that promise was broken.

Do you really want to have your brand new airplane delivered with known defective components? I'm amazed that Diamond is even allowed to do this - especially for the singles.
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

Can you us a little bit more about your mission and experience? Are you learning to fly in this plane? Where wiill it be based? At sea level or in the mountains? What destinations do you think you will fly to regularly?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

We had our DA40 (Lycoming) for eleven years. I think it was an ideal plane for a new pilot (less than 500 hours). I built 1,200 hours on that plane and loved pretty much every minute of it.

I just saw a clip on another board where someone couldn't believe that 110LL had hit $10 a gallon near them. I noted that JetA at the same location was $6 a gallon. If you intend to keep the plane for a while, figure that in. From my reading of the MSB and discussion of it, I would be comfortable having an Austro engine. I never had a flight in the DA40 that I wasn't hunting the ground for my emergency out landing spot. I guess that's the way it should be in a single engine plane, but I feel like the little diesel would have made me feel better than the big tractor engine. (I had one failed magneto, one failed alternator, and one incorrectly wired sensor on our Lycoming during those years.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Re: fuel prices. It's not universal that Jet-A is notably cheaper than 100LL. At smaller airports the price differential can be pretty minimal. This is commonly the case at my home airport. In fact right now the price differential is $0.00. At nearby Redmond, OR Jet A is about $0.80 higher than 100LL.

In the longer term I'd love to be able to use the more commonly available Jet fuel. But in my view the DA40 has been slowly compromised by restricting CG, and adding lard in various forms (even with the Lycoming), culminating with the NG. The latter adds the maintenance complications of a unique diesel engine.
Last edited by Rich on Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Colin wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:00 pm I just saw a clip on another board where someone couldn't believe that 110LL had hit $10 a gallon near them. I noted that JetA at the same location was $6 a gallon.
We’ve been paying $12 (or more) for gallon of 100LL in Europe for years with just a short period of lower prices at the beginning of Covid pandemic.
ScottOHare
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Post by ScottOHare »

You know I keep my DA40 NG at a small airport in Idaho, KDIJ, elevation 6200 feet. I've dodged this bullet - so far - as my Austro is not on the list but it has me seriously considering a trade to the XLT. The NG is an amazing plane and after 3 years I've only had to replace a fuel transfer pump, but getting service on it can be an issue. With 250 hrs I'm still a new pilot and really like the safety of the Diamonds.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I think the Lycoming is a good choice. It’s been used to power DA40s for a long time now and my understanding is that it powers about 80% of the fleet. The DA40’s safety record is based primarily on the Lycoming powered versions. My Lycoming powered 2003 DA40 is on the original engine, a little past TBO, and has seen some flight school time in the past, but still passes all the tests (runs great, stable oil usage, great oil analysis, borescope exam, good pressures, mechanic’s opinion) for continued use. I live in the Midwest. Pilots regularly flying through the mountains may have to calculate things differently.