1 Diamond Member
First Name: Nathan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N105WT
Airports: BJC

ADS-B - Upgrade Details

Post by Denver Nate »

Hey DA40 Enjoyers,

I'm under contract on a DA40 2011 XLS that did not get the ADS-B update. I've talked to a several Avionic shops and received varied responses of what I need/possibility/time line of getting it. The plane is remote to me as well, so I have had to use the mechanic at the field to get some of this info.

What I (could) have:
2011 XLS G1000 w/WAAS
GTX33 Transponder (w/o ES Upgrade)
As several shops have asked the software version is 12.05 on MFD and PFD (Garmin said this didn't matter, it could just be updated..?)

I've been told I just need to update GTX33 to ES, and also the exact opposite - that - that will not work.

I've been told the Garmin GTX345R is what I need and it should be all set (this is from Garmin Avionics help line.) From a Avionics shop I was told that will not work because I have an older version of G1000 and older WAAS, (I told Garmin this, and they said the above that the software should be able to be updated.) So... any clarification on this would be great.

It also seems that there is quite a backorder on all things GA including the GTX345R, curious if anyone has a shop that has done this or has a transponder on the shelf they were saving for a rainy day.

If anyone has dealt with this or has any tips or just general direction or assistance.. man I would be interested! It feels like I'm just getting random conflicting opinions on something that should be fairly common. I'm guessing I'm just dealing with shops that have not upgraded ADSB on a bunch of Diamonds/DA40's. I'm super excited about the plane, but I would be even more excited if I thought I might be able to fly it at some point around the veil of Denver/DIA.

Also has anyone used the sure-starter bracket for UAvionix SkyBeacon? https://www.sure-starter.com/shop/p/mij ... 4whmxizkmc

I did see there was a separate thread on ADSB, but I thought due to the specifics it probably was helpful to start a new one. Thanks for any assistance!!
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Re: ADS-B - Upgrade Details

Post by gyro3816 »

I purchased my WAAS XLS last year. It already had gtx345 installed but had older G1000 sw. I later updated to v23, so I can confirm 345 will work with either.
That said the v23 software added checklist, profile view and some other misc items so I’m glad I did it.
My avionics guy had to reconfig ads-b when v23 was installed, not sure if that was related to install but after it was completed I was able to see FIS weather on my MFD and that was a game changer. Following the upgrade I cancelled my XM wx subscription - bonus.
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

You cannot use the 33ES in the DA40. The required software is still not available. You'll need to install a GTX335R or 345R with integral WAAS and install an additional antenna. This can be a combo XM or COM antenna.

The 345 will give you ADS-B and weather in. The 335 will not, but you can use an external device (Stratux/Stratus) for handheld devices.

You could continue holding out for the software update to enable the 33ES. It was due out last year and no updates from Diamond since.

I've seen one SkyBeacon install on a DA40. No idea if it works well.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

The best solution from a functional perspective that gives you ADS-B IN and OUT as well as merged ADS-B and Avidyne traffic on the MFD is to go with the GTX345R WAAS (PART NUMBER 010-01217-46) from Garmin.

Some of the confusion may be related to the fact the older G1000s can not be the GPS source for the base GTX345R. You therefore have to get the version of the GTX345R with an imbedded GPS and install an additional GPS antenna that's used only by the GTX345R. I had the ADS-B upgrade done on my 2010 DA40 XLS at Aerial Avionics in San Jose (now they are located in Monterey) with this configuration a few years ago and the upgrade involved the following:
  • Removing the existing GTX-33 transponder
  • Installing a GTX-345R WAAS (again the WAAS version is needed since the G1000 software doesn’t allow it to be a GTX-345R GPS source)
  • Replacing the GA-55 XM antenna inside the tail with a GA-37 GPS/SiriusXM combo antenna - with this approach no composite work is required to install another external GPS antenna
  • Building and installing a new wiring harness that connects the G1000, GTX-345R WAAS, and Avidyne so all the data and audio signals from the Avidyne active traffic work correctly with the GTX345R - no new wire runs were required to the front panel
  • Upgrading the G1000 software to the latest version 0321.23. Version 0321.23 allows the weather source to be selected on the MFD (either SiriusXM or ADS-B) and displays merged ADS-B and Avidyne traffic and audio alerts from the GTX-345R.
My experience is it's definitely worth looking for a shop that has worked on DA40s before if possible when doing anything with the avionics. If you're anywhere near the west coast, you might want to give Adam at Aerial Avionics a call.
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
Denver Nate
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Nathan
Aircraft Registration: N105WT
Airports: BJC

Post by Denver Nate »

Wow, thank you all so much for the assistance. MarkA that is exactly the breakdown I was hoping for, I think I can sort that out.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

Note also with the Version 0321.23 and GTX345R upgrade, you also get the option to pick the weather source you want displayed on the MFD - either XM weather (if you have an SiriusXM subscription) or the free ADS-B weather.
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
Jericho
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rod
Aircraft Registration: N589T
Airports: Kful

Post by Jericho »

I ran into the same problem with my DA40 earlier this year. Needed to bring the plane from the Seattle area home to Southern California. Really wanted to get the 345r but there was a back order expected to last near the end of the year. I ended up getting the Uavionix with the bracket on the wing tip.
Would have definitely preferred the 345 but also wanted to get the plane home.
katiedetrick
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Katie
Aircraft Registration: N947US
Airports: KFNL

Post by katiedetrick »

Congrats on your new (to you) plane! I also just recently purchased an ‘08 DA40 XLS without ABDS-B out and am in the Denver area as well - we should go fly together sometime!

My plane also has the GTX33 transponder without ES in it now. I did tons of digging and asked around lots of avionics shops, Garmin support, etc., and ended up needing to order the GTX345R. I placed my order back in May and it was originally slated to arrive this month, but was recently pushed to February.

Sadly I’ve been keeping my plane outside the Mode C of DIA so driving about an hour to go fly which is a bummer, but hopefully they start getting caught up on parts/supplies (the chip needed in the GTX345R is specifically what was noted as being the holdup). Fingers crossed you get something soon!