Hearing Aids

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Hearing Aids

Post by Rich »

I just got a new pair ($$$ :shock: ) and plan on wearing them all the time. These are the type where there's a module that sits behind the ears. These new models have all manner of features built into their teeny enclosures, including Bluetooth, GPS and vast custom sound processing capability. Given I use an ANR headset, I don't really need them in the plane and it's unclear how they might work inside the ear cups but R&R and/or turning them of for flights would be a pain.

They are BT-paired with both my iPhone and iPad and I was concerned that would compromise the BT-pairing between both those devices and my BluLink 2 adapter. But I found that the BluLink becomes the active connection on both Apple-thingees when I fire it up. So no need to turn them off.

Now there is an interesting hypothetical, were one to use a BT headset (sans BluLink 2) that only has the ability to use a single device:
1. Connect the headset to the iPhone so I have two-way conversation ability.
2. Let the hearing aids connect to the iPad for the various alerts FF provides.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: Hearing Aids

Post by photoSteveZ »

I've got a new pair of hearing aids, my first, also with the module behind the ears. I find that they work well under the ear cups of both Bose and Lightspeed bluetooth-enabled ANR headsets. I haven't got the whole bluetooth thing figured out: I also got a new iPhone at the same time so there are permutations that I've yet to work out. The hearing aids are usually connected to my iPhone and allow me to take calls through them under normal circumstances. That probably won't work in the airplane since the hearing aids' microphones will be under my headset cups. But in general, I like the hearing aids' capabilities and I'm happy I can wear them comfortably under ANR headsets.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Lightspeed has a new Delta Zulu headset with a 12 band equalizer. According to the website, you take a hearing test with their app, each ear separately. It figures out your frequency response deficiencies, then loads the equalization curve to the headset to make the corrections. As a bonus, it also has a CO detector.

Seems like a pretty cool upgrade to headset technology.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

I have one on order, but mine hasn't shipped yet.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The obvious other effect is that, unless one goes through the hassle of removing these things for flight, no more use of Clarity Aloft or any other in-ear units. CA has long been my preferred unit for non-local flights for a number of reasons. Ah, well, one adjusts :roll:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Rich wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:28 pm The obvious other effect is that, unless one goes through the hassle of removing these things for flight, no more use of Clarity Aloft or any other in-ear units. CA has long been my preferred unit for non-local flights for a number of reasons. Ah, well, one adjusts :roll:
If your hearing aids are like mine (behind-the-ear electronics with a tiny wire leading to the receiver in your ear canal), you may not have to remove them to use a Clarity Aloft in-ear headset. I wear my hearing aids and AirPods at the same time and they do not conflict.

On the side topic which Russ brought up: I received my panel-powered Lightspeed Delta Zulu headset a couple of days ago, and I like it a lot. One of the advantages of the Delta Zulu is that it comes with two, removable battery cases: one with a built-in LiPo rechargable battery and the other that holds a couple of AA cells. If you want, you can use the panel-powered LEMO headset with the lighter AA case and just leave the batteries out...which makes it even lighter. With the LiPo case installed, the panel-powered headset will keep the LiPo pack charged in case you need to use the headset in an airplane without LEMO jacks. It would require that you purchase an adapter for standard GA jacks, though.

The Lightspeed phone app that connects to the Delta Zulu includes an adaptive equalization feature to compensate for slight-to-moderate hearing loss; after connecting the headset to your phone you wear the headset while the app administers an easy-to-use hearing evaluation. I wore my hearing aids under the headset while I took the test (my hearing aids turn themselves off when they detect that I'm wearing a headset) and the high frequency boost curve that the Lightspeed app then programmed into the headset looks a lot like the one my hearing aids use. The ear cups are large enough that it's not uncomfortable to wear behind-the-ear style hearing aids.

Ah, the downsides of advancing age, and a youth spent in small planes without hearing protection...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Steve, I’m a bit confused. If you got the panel-powered version did they also somehow supply the battery components? The Zulu3 doesn’t come that way.

To operate Clarity Aloft most effectively one inserts the earpieces well into the ear canal. This is not like air pods.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

photoSteveZ wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:41 pm I wore my hearing aids under the headset while I took the test (my hearing aids turn themselves off when they detect that I'm wearing a headset) and the high frequency boost curve that the Lightspeed app then programmed into the headset looks a lot like the one my hearing aids use.
Did you take the test in the plane, or on the ground? In his review, Max Trescott's did the test in quiet room, but it seemed to me I'd want o do the test in the plane, in flight to get a "real world" equalization curve".

In any case, is there a noticeable improvement in the sound quality versus the hearing aids?
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Rich wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:31 pm Steve, I’m a bit confused. If you got the panel-powered version did they also somehow supply the battery components? The Zulu3 doesn’t come that way.

To operate Clarity Aloft most effectively one inserts the earpieces well into the ear canal. This is not like air pods.
Yes, the Delta Zulu comes with battery holders even if you order the panel-powered LEMO version. I’ve discovered that I cannot use the LiPo battery in the airplane because it somehow adds a bad squeal in the headset when the LEMO jack is powered on. Any ideas? Lightspeed customer service has no answers for me.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Boatguy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:30 pm
photoSteveZ wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:41 pm I wore my hearing aids under the headset while I took the test (my hearing aids turn themselves off when they detect that I'm wearing a headset) and the high frequency boost curve that the Lightspeed app then programmed into the headset looks a lot like the one my hearing aids use.
Did you take the test in the plane, or on the ground? In his review, Max Trescott's did the test in quiet room, but it seemed to me I'd want o do the test in the plane, in flight to get a "real world" equalization curve".

In any case, is there a noticeable improvement in the sound quality versus the hearing aids?
The Lightspeed phone app suggests doing the test in a quiet room. In the plane you wouldn’t be able to hear their subtle test cues. When you’re done, the app plays a few bars of music with and without the equalization curve to give you a chance to hear what the equalization curve is doing for you.

Since my hearing aids turn off when they detect a headset, all I can really say is that the new Delta Zulus deliver good audio, with noticeably crisper voice reproduction, than either my other Zulus or my Bose A20s.