3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N524PS
Airports: KMTH

Re: Air intake vent tape

Post by TomO »

B9B77DDD-8619-4B6B-A5D9-3C37BFEDEE11.png
On my plane, I tried taping the bottom then top vent as a comparison. Taping the bottom vent gave me the best ventilation and noise reduction.

As noted in previous posts, the sailplane tape would wrinkle, and with time eventually come off the vent.

My solution was to fabricate a vent plug (I believe others have done this with other materials) out of a marine construction foam (divinycell). This foam is high density and light but easily fashioned to form the plug with sandpaper and automotive forming tool. A lightweight epoxy filler and a polyurethane paint completes the plug.

The plug can be pressed into place which allows removal if needed. A small dab of silicone caulk will secure the plug if needed.

I have flown with these plugs for several years with no issues.
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by TomO »

Sorry for the error, but I meant taping the bottom vent worked the best.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

A plug is a preferred approach. But since I found covering of the upper vent adequate in performance I prefer that approach as it allows water from whatever source to readily drain. The alternative is to include a drain path into the lower plug.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Rich wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:59 am A plug is a preferred approach. But since I found covering of the upper vent adequate in performance I prefer that approach as it allows water from whatever source to readily drain. The alternative is to include a drain path into the lower plug.
Seems like a great opportunity for someone with a good 3D printer. I would pay for one
JanSq
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: JanSq
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by JanSq »

Glider tape??
Specifically, what kind of tape is it? How wide?
I would love to modify my DA40s in this way.
Jan
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

dmloftus wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:12 amSeems like a great opportunity for someone with a good 3D printer. I would pay for one
My tape needs to be re-done. I am thinking of using some expanding polyurethane foam insulation to fill the cavity of the upper vent before applying the tape. I'll take photos of the process, and post here later.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

JanSq wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:54 pm Glider tape??
Specifically, what kind of tape is it? How wide?
I would love to modify my DA40s in this way.
Jan
I bought a roll of https://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals/ ... -tape.html -- 2" premium white. Works great and I've got enough left for years. I applied the tape in three pieces. First a base layer that I could layer on top of, it did not seal the hole completely. Then once again across the top and across the bottom to complete the seal.
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

TomO wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:40 am B9B77DDD-8619-4B6B-A5D9-3C37BFEDEE11.png
On my plane, I tried taping the bottom then top vent as a comparison. Taping the bottom vent gave me the best ventilation and noise reduction.

As noted in previous posts, the sailplane tape would wrinkle, and with time eventually come off the vent.

My solution was to fabricate a vent plug (I believe others have done this with other materials) out of a marine construction foam (divinycell). This foam is high density and light but easily fashioned to form the plug with sandpaper and automotive forming tool. A lightweight epoxy filler and a polyurethane paint completes the plug.

The plug can be pressed into place which allows removal if needed. A small dab of silicone caulk will secure the plug if needed.

I have flown with these plugs for several years with no issues.
Your solution looks great! Would you be interested in making more and selling them? I’d happily buy.
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by TomO »

Thanks for the compliment.

Unfortunately after making several plugs for two different years of the DA-40 plus my own plane, I have found that the vents are all slightly different. This requires that the vent plug be fashioned to each plane in order to make it good looking as well as a tight fit. Quite time consuming and not practical to manufacture due to the minor variations.

One would not expect there be be any difference in the vent shape between similar planes but indeed there is.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

I was also suprised to find significantly different vent shaped both between the left and right sides as well as between model years (in my case a 2007 vs a 2010) when making the plugs for my DA40 XLS.

viewtopic.php?p=83390#p83390
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg