A very big deal -- FAA Approves G100UL for ALL GA piston spark-ignition aircraft

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: A very big deal -- FAA Approves G100UL for ALL GA piston spark-ignition aircraft

Post by MackAttack »

I think this is overall very positive, although there will be a cost increase of some amount as noted. The FAA has looked pretty bad on how they handled this and was catching a lot of flak from both parties in Washington, plus industry groups - all of which criticism was justified. At least they responded but it took basically a tidal wave of bipartisan and industry outrage to get them to move what was a tiny needle.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: A very big deal -- FAA Approves G100UL for ALL GA piston spark-ignition aircraft

Post by Rich »

We seem to be starting to get facebook-worthy posts here.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I asked Diamond Support if Transport Canada (TCCA) has anything to say/approve regarding this FAA STC as the TC for the DA40 is held by Diamond Canada. I suspect not, especially for planes registered in the US. The question is of interest to owners & fleets ordering new DA40-XLTs and owner/operators outside the US. Will report what I learn.
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

waynemcc999 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:39 pm
Boatguy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:25 pm This doesn't affect me, but how do they enforce the need for the STC? Honor system?
Russ, I don't directly know the answer wrt enforcement. I recently purchased the Swift Fuels UL94 STC and yesterday had it "installed" by my A&P. All "install" means is my A&P filed some papers to the FAA, gave me those papers to put in my a/c logbook, and he put a sticker on each wing by the fuel cap (as Rich noted) that says I can burn UL94 as well as 100LL. I assume the same process will play out for G100UL. Therefore the only likely enforcement is that the person (owner/operator, FBO) who fuels the aircraft must abide by this sticker.
Does this STC allow us to run 94 octane “super” cargas? If approved is there a downside to running 94 octane cargas if it’s specified as no ethanol? That would be massively cheaper.

Second, it baffles me that GA is still using lead when it was so easy to move cars off it. I have a few older cars built during leaded gas years and they run unleaded just fine. What they don’t like is ethanol in the gas because it eats older rubber seals.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Derek wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:37 am Does this STC allow us to run 94 octane “super” cargas? If approved is there a downside to running 94 octane cargas if it’s specified as no ethanol?
I seriously doubt that.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Post by OriensFlight »

I don't know what's worse, getting leaded fuel on our hands as we refuel and sample 100LL or potentially breathing in leaded exhaust as our aircraft are idling on the ground on a windless day. I suspect us pilots receive far more exposure to lead than the typical airport neighbor. If we encourage our airports to look into the possibility of switching, we'll at least be ahead of the game and be seen as 'good neighbors', for whatever that's worth.
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

Im very much looking forward to buying unleaded gas. It is not practical to have more than one grade of fuel at an airport. 100ul works in every engine. Those folks with high performance planes need higher octane. This makes 94ul a non starter.

As has been pointed out, you won’t need to change oil as frequently. Sticky valves are caused by lead bromide deposits. This will go away. Spark plugs won’t get fouled by lead. You cant use synthetic oil because it can’t scavenge lead. Eventually we will be able to use synthetic oil which lasts longer.

Engines won’t need to be overhauled so frequently as the lead sludge will go away.

This will save a lot of money and avoid many headaches.

But the most important aspect is those nuts who are looking for any excuse to close airports will be deprived of one of their most potent arguments. This is a huge problem and represents the single largest threat to GA. You hear people talking about “crop dusting with lead”. It doesn’t matter if this is a valid environmental concern — the optic is horrible and makes for nasty political discussions that we can’t win.

I’m at VNY. All it takes is some whack job on the LA city council to ban lead and largest ga airport in the world bans piston GA. BTW, those people who fly jets couldn’t care less and the jet operators want us to leave so they can take over our ramp space.

Now we have a way out. We need to embrace it or face extinction. I kid you not.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Given that current ethanol subsidies (tax credits) are on the order of $1.01 U.S. per gallon under the guise of promoting "clean air", it seems like a subsidy for the incremental cost of G100UL versus 100LL would be a no brainer

It appears we sell 413,000 gallons of 100LL per day here, which is only 153 million gallons per year. Even a $1.00 per gallon subsidy would be a rounding error in the current administration's giveaways.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Every administration has support the fossil fuel industry, so that is unnecessary political commentary.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Bernie
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bernhard
Aircraft Registration: N966DS
Airports: LOIR

Post by Bernie »

If we use 100UL or 94UL, will the fuel gauges still work?