3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Don’t get out with the prop running

Post by alanhawse »

I admit that I have been tempted… but it always seemed like a bad idea.

https://www.wlky.com/article/woman-kill ... y/40850821
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Re: Don’t get out with the prop running

Post by A Dopo »

If you did it at all you would exit off the back past the flaps only, but yeah, best to shut it down, only bad things can happen as was clearly demonstrated.

I just tried to link it to Katheryns Report that explained this much better, but it has that stupid you must be approved blogger for this site up again. Once in a while this pops up, not sure what it is. Anyone else have this issue? Katherines Report is such a good resource for reviewing aviation accidents etc.

https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogsp ... &type=blog
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

Here it is on Pilots of America. I sure hope they have a tremendous faith as that is what often helps families get through tragedies like this.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/communi ... -7.139246/
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

During my Mishap Investigation training in the Navy, I got to study a lot of Mishap Reports. One that I remember particularly was a prop strike of a ground crewmember by a P3 propeller at night. The photos were extremely disturbing (even for a surgeon like myself that worked in an inner city ER).

The bottom line is that I would never allow a passenger to exit the airplane until the prop is stopped, and the mags turned off. I also keep folks away from the prop arc at all times.
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

This is tragic. Got to wonder what the PIC was thinking.
I had an incident 7 or 8 years ago that literally scared the hell out of me. We had just turned down the aisle at transient parking at El Monte Airport, EMT, looking for a parking spot. I then noticed a young family with two toddlers looking at the parked planes around 70 or 80 feet ahead of me. At that time I immediately put on the brakes. At the same time, a very excited young boy, maybe around five years old, broke loose from his mom and started charging towards the front of our plane with his mom now chasing after him. I pulled back on the lean mixture to kill the engine. In my mind, time froze and it seemed like it took forever for the prop to stop turning. As it turned out, he made all the way to our aircraft by the time his mom caught up with him and thank God the prop was not turning by the time he reached us. Yep, I was very shook up and let his mom know so. She apologized and then stated her son loved airplanes and after their lunch at the airport restaurant, he wanted to view some airplanes close up. The above incident definitely has been an unforgettable experience for both myself and my pilot wife who was sitting in the right seat. Just saying we all need to be extra carful when on the ramp with a live prop.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

Tragic. The owner/pilot may be a member here and if so I send my condolences. A tragic accident. We’re all sometimes one decision away from an accident and tragedy.
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Post by OriensFlight »

Don, I had an eerily similar-to-your-story experience once when I arrived at an FBO to meet my sister and her 6-yr-old daughter. They had come out of the FBO as I taxied in, and my niece came running towards the plane. She only stopped as a result of me advancing the throttle (thereby increasing noise) and turning the aircraft to the right and cutting the mixture. A year ago, I introduced another niece and nephew to the airplane, and I made a special point to tell them not to run towards airplanes and that propellers are dangerous. My niece subsequently wrote a story on her iPad about her uncle’s cool plane and the ‘death propeller’.
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

I did look at our NG this past week, and it does have a blue foot symbol on the backside of the wing at the passengers door. Right beside it is a do not step symbol on the flap.

That said, safest is obvious to cut off the plane and never even consider getting in and out of the front. With the wind from the prop, I would not even attempt to open the front cockpit. My condolences as well for the terrible lose. I just hope the pilot can find a way to forgive oneself and continue with life. It will be difficult. I hope that they have the faith to do this.

KR is back up, here is the actual thread

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/08/d ... fatal.html
Last edited by A Dopo on Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

Steve wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:12 pm During my Mishap Investigation training in the Navy, I got to study a lot of Mishap Reports. One that I remember particularly was a prop strike of a ground crewmember by a P3 propeller at night. The photos were extremely disturbing (even for a surgeon like myself that worked in an inner city ER).

The bottom line is that I would never allow a passenger to exit the airplane until the prop is stopped, and the mags turned off. I also keep folks away from the prop arc at all times.
My god that's a huge propeller...I heard of a crew member walking through one that must have been barley turning and not getting hit. Sounds more like a myth but who knows.