Airventure 2023 - camp Scholler info needed

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Airventure 2023 - camp Scholler info needed

Post by Pehu »

Hi all,

It was nice meeting all in Oskosh this year and it sparked an idea to get there with a bigger motorhome next year, 2023. Now driving each day 1hr to Green Bay per direction was a bit sucky. Yeah, was late with bookings and Appleton hotels were quite pricey and most outsold.

Anyways doing camping / scholler might be a good thing we figured!

But reading all the experiences of people booking early the places for motorhomes, marking their "plots" etc made me wonder how the actual system works. Since we are coming from Europe, arriving in early July to reserve a place is out of the question. We can (and will) come couple of days earlier than Airventure starts, but thats it.

The plan is to get a larger RV/motorhome (30-40') and book the improved site with electricity. Running on generator is a bit noisy etc.

So my questions are
- Do we really need to go there to get "landgrab" like in early July in order to get some decent parking space?
- Any preferences or ideas what we should do in our situation?
- Are the electricity connections standard, so that the RV/motorhome can be hooked into it? (I dont know about US)
- Any estimate when we should/could arrive there with the RV?

Pekka
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Re: Airventure 2023 - camp Scholler info needed

Post by gyro3816 »

I parked my DA40 up in Appleton, then took at Lyft to KOSH (Motel6). @$300/nt for barnyard accommodation, I should have just camped onsite. I think hotel money is better spent on a good tent, cots and a fan/tv with a simple battery gen pack.
I looked for other owners at KOSH, but no luck. I ended up hanging out a few hours at Diamond’s venue chatting with lifestyle folks.
Next year I’ll bring a large Hospitality Tent so we can all hang out and talk airplanes.
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Pehu wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:59 pm The plan is to get a larger RV/motorhome (30-40') and book the improved site with electricity. Running on generator is a bit noisy etc.
Do we really need to go there to get "landgrab" like in early July in order to get some decent parking space?
If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading some of this thread on Beechtalk. It sounds like there were still some electric/water sites left less than two weeks before the show, but they were all booked up by the 15th this year. I'm not sure if you have to be present to reserve a spot or if you can just pay a deposit to hold one for the week. I think it was discussed somewhere in that thread. I also recall reading some posts about using generators.

I may try to fly the DA42 all the way to OSH next year and just set up a tent next to it, but we'll see if that still sounds like a good idea eleven months from now.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I have stayed in Camp Scholler a couple of times at the improved sites. They open for reservations about one month ahead of OSH. However, you pay the daily rate for these spots starting the day you make a reservation and you cannot shorten the length of stay - it runs until the end of the show. The sweet spot has traditionally been about two weeks ahead where most of the spots get reserved.

It’s not inexpensive, but if you want a site with water and electric - it’s the only choice on the EAA grounds. The one RV camp nearest to OSH has a waiting list several years out. You can always do the 24 hour generator lot and pay for potable water and tank pumping (you have to pay for tank pumping even at the improved sites - there is no sewer). There are some full hookup sites in the camp, but I think they are reserved for long time EAA volunteers.

For the best spots in the general area - you purchase and stake out your campsite the day Camp Scholler opens.
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Thanks. I think the improved site is the way to go with us. Get the electricity etc.

Is the reservation online for the improved sites? Ie you pick your spot on the reservation system - or is it the same landgrab :)

When does camp scholler open usually?
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland