3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Anthony
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N222AD
Airports: KHBG

First Annual

Post by TAILspin38 »

My first annual is coming up in about 4wks. Our local mechanic is very good but has never done one on a Diamond. This question is geared towards those who have been in this same position, do you think there is any reason for concern being he has not worked on a Diamond but has many years as an A&P?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: First Annual

Post by Rich »

Mostly firewall forward and landing gear is standard stuff. Nothing new. He should check the current state of AD compliance no matter the make/model anyway, so other than that no big deal.

One thing that should go without saying but I’ll say it anyway: The plane is a mix of metric and US fastener sizes. This is not unheard of, even in US-manufactured autos.

Personally I’d want to talk to him and see how he feels about it. If he’s dismissive of the possibility that there might be some unique things to look at I’d be concerned. If he projects what I might term an air of some humility that there might be some things he will wind of learning I’d feel OK.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The other good thing is that Diamond provides a fairly comprehensive inspection checklist in the AMM that he can use. If he does all of those items, he won't miss anything important. In a couple of months, we will be doing the 19th (owner assisted) Annual on my airplane. We have used the inspection checklist on every one of them.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

Is there any requirements to use a Diamond certified mechanic to stay within the Diamond warranties?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ingramleedy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:32 pm Is there any requirements to use a Diamond certified mechanic to stay within the Diamond warranties?
I don't know, you can check the warranty language.

But it looks like you have an NG, so you absolutely need an Austro trained mechanic. On the 40NG, changing the gearbox oil requires removing part of the induction system. More than one mechanic has failed to properly reinstall the induction system resulting in it popping off under pressure, loss of turbo boost, max power of maybe 35-40% and an off field landing.

I go to a great shop, but I still visually inspect the connection of the induction system after it is serviced, before the cowling is replaced, to ensure it has been secured with new hose clamps properly safety wired.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I would recommend going to someone with expertise in your plane. Here’s my story. My first annual was at a shop that took care of my plane for the previous owners. They weren’t a Diamond service center but they were a good shop and had taken care of this plane for about 5 years. It looked to me like they misinterpreted the maintenance manual and over maintained but that wasn’t a problem for me as the buyer. The second year a good mechanic at my local FBO did the annual with her IA. They were also taking care of a DA20. They were uncomfortable with some Diamond specific items like some service bulletins and my MT propeller but they got the annual done. The 3rd year the IA at that shop didn’t get recertified due to Covid so I went to another shop on the field at the last minute. The definitely weren’t familiar with Diamonds and there were problems that required them to come to my hangar to fix. This year I’m going to a service center that I’ve been to before, unfortunately a couple of states away. In fact the plane is there now. They also own 2 2003 planes just like mine that they have taken care of for a long time. It was a 6 hr car ride home and the shop rate is higher, but I confident that things will be done right. I’ve been told me that there is value in going to a shop with expertise in your plane. If that’s not possible another option would be to sign up for the Savvy consulting service. They can give you their opinion on things and point you to a good shop for your plane in your area if there is one. I’ve used them for the last couple of years. Congratulations on the new plane!
TAILspin38
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Anthony
Aircraft Registration: N222AD
Airports: KHBG

Post by TAILspin38 »

Thanks John, that is the scenario that I've been pondering!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

ingramleedy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:32 pm Is there any requirements to use a Diamond certified mechanic to stay within the Diamond warranties?
No. An advantage of using a Diamond Service Center is that they handle all the paperwork and reimbursement by Diamond for warranty-related repairs -- so you don't have to pay. If you use other shops for warranty work, you'll pay for repairs and then have to file a claim with Diamond for reimbursement.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

My DA40NG was delivered on March 1... and I just hit 100 tach hours.

I was planning on trying to do the oil change by myself... then I read the maintenance manual... and really started to wonder

Then I tried to find the oil filter... which doesn't even appear that you can buy it if you wanted to... I considered using the local places... but they have a terrible reputation.

So I called Lifestyle who I bought the plane from and they recommended James Spearman https://www.spearmanaircraft.com who is based at KGKT in Pigeon Forge TN.

I called him. He asked what I wanted. I told him that I wanted to show up when they opened at 9... and I wanted to fly away in a few hours with a DONE DONE DONE perfect plane. He said no problem.

KGKT is an hour and change from my base at 27K. So I flew down there (ended up shooting my first solo IMC approach since I got my ticket).

I showed up a bit before 9:00 and he and his guys got to it... I took his car (literally) and went to the coffee shop and worked. Then had lunch at a hamburger place that was very much cooler than me.... About 1:00 he called me and said it was done.

They had been through the crazy Diamond checklist... and found nothing wrong (which I was glad to hear). But the list includes stuff like re-torqueing the engine mounts. Overkill? I suppose better overkill than kill.

Perhaps it overly cautious? Perhaps it was expensive $1885? (but 4 guys for 4 hours? seems reasonable)

I like that he ordered everything that he could possibly need to take care of it IN ADVANCE. This gave me good assurance that I could fly away and be done.

I think that I paid for white glove service... and I got it.

He even offered to come fetch the plane (i need hours... so I flew it down there)

Now my plane is perfect. I don't have time to screw with a broken or flaky plane.

Im very happy with the experience and will use him at the next oil change and the annual(s).

Non-Diamond certified shops are on my personal minimum list for this engine and plane. My serial numbers is 168... if that actually means there are <200 DA40NGs in the US you sure don't want someone working on them who doesn't know the engine. This engine is the same... except everything is different. Don't risk it. And why would you after spending $0.5M on a new plane.

Alan
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Pretty sure I paid $1,400 for my last 100hr oil change. That was for two engines.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)