3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Backlit Tail Number Placard

Post by ingramleedy »

I have been flying several DA40s at a local flight school. I flew a few night flights last week and found that I couldn't read the tail number placard at night.

I wondered if there is dimmable back light that tail number decal might be covering? Does anyone have any thoughts or a better way to highlight the decal? I know that for most of you know your tail number without thinking. Thanks!

Thanks!
-Ingram
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Backlit Tail Number Placard

Post by Rick »

If you use the dimmer to turn up the led strip under the glare shield, you might be able to illuminate the tail number placard enough to read it, without messing too much with your night vision. You probably wouldn't need much, since the placard is right under the glare shield. I forget if it's the right or left dimmer knob that activates the LED strip...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
MikeMeadows
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N486A
Airports: KTME KDWH KIWS TS07 KSGR

Post by MikeMeadows »

I wrote to Garmin to see it it was possible to add the registration number to the top right of the G1000 PFD screen.

"One of my students has bought a new Diamond Aircraft DA42-VI. How can I add his N-number to the top right of the PFD screen in the same way as say a Cirrus aircraft?

Good Evening Mike
Thank you for contacting Garmin International.
Hope your having a great Wednesday evening! After doing some research and asking some of my co-workers we have figured out that this feature is only for Cirrus customer! This would be a great idea though for our future products! Hope you have a great rest of you week

Best Regards,
Garmin Aviation Support"

If Diamond Aircraft reads these forums, perhaps they could ask garmin formally to include this in the next versions of the G1000 software.

Mike Meadows CFII, MEI Houston, TX
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Don’t hold your breath. Diamond’s NXi is at least 5 yrs behind Cirrus “Perspective +” and continues to fall further behind.

Enjoy it for what it is, not for what it could be.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

Rick wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:00 pm If you use the dimmer to turn up the led strip under the glare shield, you might be able to illuminate the tail number placard enough to read it, without messing too much with your night vision. You probably wouldn't need much, since the placard is right under the glare shield. I forget if it's the right or left dimmer knob that activates the LED strip...
Yea, unfortunately its too dark up in the corner where the tail placard is.

I agree -- the best place for the tail number would be on the G1000 NXI under the radio freq...