2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N520DA
Airports: KFRG

Play music from your iPhone?

Post by robottwo »

I have a g1000 Phase 1 NXI on my DA62 — does anyone know if there is an audio aux input plug hidden somewhere in the plane? The Phase 1 doesn’t have Bluetooth, but it does have an aux3 that doesn’t seem to do anything?

I just want to play some music from iTunes that will go to all the headsets.

Alternately, does anyone know of an adapter that will let me hook up my phone audio output to be of the headset jacks?

I have Bluetooth in my headset, so I can play music for myself already. The goal here is to play it for everyone.

Thanks!
Dan
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Re: Play music from your iPhone?

Post by MichaelM »

Which audio panel do you have with the G1000? I think the GMA1360 includes a Bluetooth audio link, but seems like that is only on newer ones. Knowing which audio panel you have might help!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If you only have NXi Phase I for the DA62, you have the Legacy G1000's GMA 1347 audio panel, which unfortunately was introduced way back in 2004 before Bluetooth became popular. So no wireless Bluetooth to your audio panel -- you need the NXi Phase II GMA 1360 audio panel for that.

Some DA62s (like mine) that were shipped with a GDL69A SXM unit for satellite weather and music were also provided with a 1/8-inch wired aux audio input jack in the center console under the armrest. If a cable is plugged in, it will mute satellite radio audio and switch to whatever is playing through the cable and aux jack. (And some planes with a GDL69A also have a pair of rocker switches on the aft side of the center console for middle row passengers to control SiriusXM channel selection and music volume. These switches only worked for NXi Phase I, not Phase II unfortunately -- so my switches no longer work.)

Your really should consider an NXi Phase II upgrade for your DA62 to get the GMA 1360 audio panel. Not only will you be able to play Bluetooth music from your iPhone/iPad, if you're running Foreflight on your iPhone/iPad you can also hear Foreflight's audio alerts through the plane's audio system -- with callouts for example, when you're 500 feet AGL, or for when you're taking the runway, or for traffic:
https://ipadpilotnews.com/2018/04/under ... fications/
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
UTMark
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Post by UTMark »

I love playing music with my Phase II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KSPK, Spanish Fork, UT
N100DA DA-62 62.078
robottwo
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by robottwo »

Yeah, I have the Phase I, and unfortunately no phono jack.

Can I upgrade just the audio panel to Phase II? It's a little hard to justify the full cost just to get visual approaches.

Or, maybe it's less expensive to ask the maintenance ship to run a phono jack to the existing audio panel?

Thanks
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

robottwo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:19 am Yeah, I have the Phase I, and unfortunately no phono jack.

Can I upgrade just the audio panel to Phase II? It's a little hard to justify the full cost just to get visual approaches.

Or, maybe it's less expensive to ask the maintenance ship to run a phono jack to the existing audio panel?

Thanks
Unfortunately you can't do either of those. Phase II requires "all or nothing" upgrades to the hardware LRUs. And if you run a phono jack to your existing GMA 1347 audio panel, there's no way to switch to it without software support. My hardwired aux input jack is enabled only because it was added as part of the GDL69A SXM hardware/software option.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

robottwo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:19 am Can I upgrade just the audio panel to Phase II? It's a little hard to justify the full cost just to get visual approaches.
Phase I is dead-end. No new software releases. Ever. Phase II HW upgrade automatically means Phase III software upgrade once it's released. For free. As well as all subsequent SW upgrades based on this hardware that will come in future. It's very good investment and pretty cheap currently thanks to Diamond's incentive.
robottwo
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Play music from your iPhone?

Post by robottwo »

Those upgrades sound good in theory, but Diamond has not ever released any. They haven’t even been able to add something as simple as electronic checklists or visual approaches to the Phase I hardware, which Cirrus has had for years and years. (I get they are now saying only phase II will support upgrades, but the track history gives them no credibility).

Even more, all indications are that diamond couldn’t care less about this. They announced some minor improvements (3d audio, for example), and then nothing — no comments, no releases for over a year.

So, the phase II upgrade is just a way to pay tens of thousands of dollars to get nothing.

If and when they actually release something, I can always upgrade later.

Doesn’t seem worth it for the meager new features they are adding.

I’d rather find some sort of dongle than can plug into a headphone port.

Anyone know of anything like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Upgrade your headset to a Bluetooth model (or one with a hardwired AUX input) and you'll be all set. If you have a passenger, upgrade both and get a Y-output cable. Lots easier and less expensive than hacking into the GMA1347 or the highly recommended Phase II upgrade.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

My Lightspeed headsets have a spot for a mini-plug, stereo. My son and I often fly along listening to a podcast together, using a splitter on his iPhone. He is isolated from my on the intercom so MY podcast gets interrupted all the time while his does not.

Do the Bose headsets have an input for sound?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)