2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Amin
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: SEMKR
Airports: ESGP

Re: ECU Fail

Post by Flyboyamin »

@chili4way Thanks for your reply. I own a da42 NG and the ecu fail popped up during ECU test. The student didn’t do a full ecu test and only did half way. When I told him to do a correct one and do it again the L ECU B was displayed.

I tried to shut down and start again but but the failure didn’t disappear.

Diamond europe doesn’t have online courses only in Canada. 2500 usd is the cost

Could you order the special cable and wizard software after course completion? And could you order it directly from diamond?
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Amin, I'm a DA40NG owner so my experience will be different than yours. The air conditioning thing in my previous post doesn't apply, as the ECU location(s) are different.

I ordered my cable from a Diamond Authorized Service Center, not directly from Diamond. While the cable design appears to be just like other CAN-to-USBA cables, it contains circuits that enable the AE Wizard software license and capabilities.

The AE Wizard software is straightforward, but not particularly intuitive. (It's also Windows-only.). While the "read" capabilities are low risk, the "write" capabilities (that you'd presumably need to reset a latched fault) could induce major problems if done incorrectly. You'll need a special login to access the software from the Austro Engine website "user area" that you request from Austro.

The kind of fault you are describing seems like one that would not "latch" and would not require the cable to reset. If it happened to me, I'd turn everything off (engine master, electric master), wait several minutes and start over from the beginning all the way through the completion of the ECU test of both engines to see if that cleared it.
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Post by gcampbe2 »

Hey Amin,

I have a DA40NG, and have also experienced a latched ECU FAIL after an aborted ECU test. In my case I was parked on a patch of ice and the plane started sliding forward so I had to abandon the ECU test, lest I hit a fuel truck. I then had an ECU FAIL annunciation that was latched, and would not clear even with a complete restart. I will likewise be looking at taking the course that Paul took so I can get the cable and software in such cases where I know the cause of the ECU failure, and am comfortable resetting it myself.

Sufficed to say, I am now extremely careful before I start an ECU test. I make darn sure that I will be able to run the test to completion!

Greg
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

It would be helpful to know which fault was latched and needed to be reset via the cable. The DASC may have downloaded the three files that come out of the ECU (data log, event record, and engine log). These will report what the ECU fault was.

These files are typically downloaded and sent to Austro at every 100-hour service, although service centers vary regarding how much of the data log they download (because it takes the longest amount of time). Austro requires much less than the full data memory of the ECU.

It is unexpected that a pilot aborting an ECU test would create a latched fault condition. The reason the pilot needs to hold the button in during the entire test is to enable such an abort. Otherwise, why not push a button and let the whole thing run automatically. (Greg's example answers this.). Perhaps there is a corner case state during the ECU test when aborting induces a latched fault, but this certainly cannot be "by design."
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

Admin- at some point, some parts of this thread may be better moved to "Austro" as it's not DA62-specific.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

If this happens again, be sure to ask the DASC to provide you with the 3 log files they pull from the ECU. And consider asking your DASC to provide you with these files (i.e. a copy of what they send to Austro) at every 100-hour service interval. The AE Wizard can read and display these (encrypted) files without the special cable.

--------------- Reply Message ---------------
Sent: Friday, July 1, 2022 3:49 AM
To: Paul
Subject: RE: AE300 Aborted ECU Test - Latched Fault

Hello,

Everything depends on which fault he got. As you haven't sent any Enginelog nor a Datalog and Eventrec, it's not clear from our side which failure he got and what caused the problem.

ECU Tests can be aborted by slipping from the button, the parameters for the ECU self-test are not given or there is any other fault that blocks the test somehow. But, that should be always visible on an enginelog.

We have updated our general terms and conditions, you can find them at: www.diamondaircraft.com/en/GTC

Kind Regards,

Christopher
Austro Engine Support Team

Austro Engine GmbH

Please be informed that Diamond Aircraft Industries GmbH / Austro Engine GmbH shall not be liable or responsible for any costs, damages or other liabilities whatsoever in connection with this statement. This statement is for informational purposes only and does not constitute as an order or offer.

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 30.06.2022, 15:43
To: Austro Engine Support
Subject: AE300 Aborted ECU Test - Latched Fault

If a pilot aborts an ECU "run-up" test in a Diamond Aircraft, should this result in a "latched" ECU fault? It seems that this should not. Rerunning the test should clear it, or perhaps even powering down the aircraft, waiting, and starting over should clear it.

Perhaps it depends on when in the cycle the test is interrupted?

Do you have other reports of this happening?

Thanks,
Paul