G1000 and VFR flying in Europe

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Kipping
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: PHMKP
Airports: EHTE

G1000 and VFR flying in Europe

Post by Kipping »

In a few months time, I expect to fly my brandnew DA40NG from the factory in Austria to the Netherlands.

I am only flying VFR and I was wondering if anybody has experience with flying VFR in Europe (probably the same in US and Canada...) with the G1000 NXi.
Should I purchase and install extra databases for displaying the VFR traffic patterns at uncontrolled airports on the MFD?
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: G1000 and VFR flying in Europe

Post by VickersPilot »

Suggest SkyDeamon for Europe VFR. Nothing beats it.
Kipping
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Kipping »

Hi Dave, thanks, I already use SkyDemon and you are very right that it is perfect for VFR flying!
But why use an iPad if you already have a G1000 ;)

I would like to keep my iPad with SkyDemon in reach as back-up, but it would be great if the VFR traffic patterns are also displayed on the MFD.
I think I've seen it before, but don't know if this is in the databases that are loaded as "standard" in the G1000 when you purchase a new Diamond aircraft. Perhaps as georeferenced Jeppesen VFR approach charts?
georgebabu
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: George
Aircraft Registration: CFZDS
Airports: CYKZ

Post by georgebabu »

Hi Mark,

Congrats on the pending delivery of your DA40NG!

I would suggest getting the additional databases for the G1000.

In my first year of ownership, I opted to max out on the ForeFlight and Garmin subscriptions to give me the flexibility to try different preflight and flight deck procedures to see what would work best for me and my style of flying.

During that time, I practiced doing everything through the G1000NXi. I now find that I use both Garmin and my EFB extensively. Sometimes, it’s because one is faster than the other (ex inputting a new flight plan in ForeFlight and using the flightstream transfer to the G1000NXi, or quickly entering in a hold atc just gave me directly into the NXi). Other times, I’ll use both as a way to verify something (frequency, pattern, approach).

On VFR patterns, I’ve often stumbled to pull up the pattern info in ForeFlight (it’s buried several layers deep) and then visualize the pattern entry. There is at least one collision I’m aware of due to flying an incorrect entry, and I’ve been in the air when someone in the pattern flew a wrong one.

One other consideration is the autopilot. I use mine quite regularly as I fly single pilot quite often. I haven’t flown a VFR pattern with AP, but if that’s possible, then maybe something to consider.

So, in keeping with the redundancy theme, I’d get the database and skydemon/ForeFlight/Garmin pilot.

Congrats again on the pending delivery and hope you enjoy many hours of delightful flying!
Kipping
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Kipping »

Hi George,

Thanks for your message!

I will look into the G1000 database options from Garmin and/or Jeppesen and try to figure out what additional databases I need.
And I will keep SkyDemon within reach!