3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N271CF
Airports: 16J

DA62 Color Options

Post by thommy152 »

Hello all! I've got a DA62 on order with an expected delivery date of December 2022. I have to finalize my color choice by the end of March. The color brochure given to me by Premier is the same one off the Diamond website. Most of the pictures seem to be computer generated and don't even have the stripes shown. How has everyone else decided on the color they want? Is there another resource out there where I can look at actual pictures of airplanes with the different color schemes? Thanks for the help!
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Re: DA62 Color Options

Post by Bryce »

I've found the colors appear to be different in most every Diamond/dealer publication. Disappointing to say the least considering its a $1.5MM airplane. If youre wanting a custom paint job you can get in touch with Evoke Aircraft Design. I'm using them, they charge appx $2k for a full custom job and will get everything to Diamond that is required for approval. Obviously you will have to pay Diamond for the custom paint, but it's not so expensive in the grand scheme of things, if you don't go crazy. Good luck with the paint decision.
N6KB DA62 Q3-2023. Now April 2024.
N524HS BE G36 2007 (Sold)
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I’m given to understand from Premier that there is a interior and exterior color palette available, including fabric choices. My 62 is scheduled for mid-November but I have not been given such a deadline yet. In fact, I understood that decision was to be made about 6 months prior to delivery. Is your 62 to be built in Canada or Austria? Mine is scheduled to be from Austria. It may be worth having a more detailed conversation with the Premier folks. My understanding also is that there is a package from Scheme Designers that is also available … happy to chat off-line - feel free to send me a pm too.

If you haven’t seen the other thread involving the group spreadsheet and information for 62 owners, it’s worth checking that out and adding your info to that spreadsheet if you have a few minutes.

However, I do think that the exterior color choices are limited if you haven’t spec’d the metallic paint option. Of course, if you are going with a custom paint, that may require more advance notice. The basic colors, however, I believe are limited to those in the online brochure but I’m given to understand that the metallic colors have a wider selection. That’s all a little second-hand however.

Personally, I’m leaning orange :)
TNAviator
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 716HC
Airports: KTYS

Post by TNAviator »

Not all oranges are created equal.

Clemson orange?

Texas Longhorns orange?

University of Tennessee orange?
thommy152
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by thommy152 »

Bryce wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:56 pm I've found the colors appear to be different in most every Diamond/dealer publication. Disappointing to say the least considering its a $1.5MM airplane. If youre wanting a custom paint job you can get in touch with Evoke Aircraft Design. I'm using them, they charge appx $2k for a full custom job and will get everything to Diamond that is required for approval. Obviously you will have to pay Diamond for the custom paint, but it's not so expensive in the grand scheme of things, if you don't go crazy. Good luck with the paint decision.
I've been disappointed as well. We demo'd a Cirrus and the salesman showed up with color samples, leather samples, and a book full of great pictures of all the different colors and design options. I like the Diamond aircraft better, but Cirrus seems to provide a better customer experience throughout the purchase process.

I don't think I'm interested in a custom paint job--I'd just like to have a clearer understanding of what the factory paint scheme options are and what they look like.
thommy152
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by thommy152 »

MackAttack wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:58 pm I’m given to understand from Premier that there is a interior and exterior color palette available, including fabric choices. My 62 is scheduled for mid-November but I have not been given such a deadline yet. In fact, I understood that decision was to be made about 6 months prior to delivery. Is your 62 to be built in Canada or Austria? Mine is scheduled to be from Austria. It may be worth having a more detailed conversation with the Premier folks. My understanding also is that there is a package from Scheme Designers that is also available … happy to chat off-line - feel free to send me a pm too.

If you haven’t seen the other thread involving the group spreadsheet and information for 62 owners, it’s worth checking that out and adding your info to that spreadsheet if you have a few minutes.

However, I do think that the exterior color choices are limited if you haven’t spec’d the metallic paint option. Of course, if you are going with a custom paint, that may require more advance notice. The basic colors, however, I believe are limited to those in the online brochure but I’m given to understand that the metallic colors have a wider selection. That’s all a little second-hand however.

Personally, I’m leaning orange :)
Thanks for this information. I will reach out to Premier and inquire about the palettes and fabric choices. My salesman has made no mention of this to me yet. My plane is supposed to be built in Canada, but I was told this could change. I did add the metallic paint option and am leaning towards gold or red. I understand there are several different shades of the red and I don't have a good understanding of what these different shades look like.

I've now added my info to that group spreadsheet.
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

Hi,

I recently ordered a DA42 and also noted that the colors on the brochures did not seem very accurate. What I did was just search on instagram (or google images) #DA62 or #DA42 to see what the colors really look like. There are only so many pre approved color schemes and there are real life images of most of them.

From my talks, custom colors are of course possible, but they can take a lot of time to design and be approved. If you want custom colors and you need to decide by next month, I would start deciding on that fast and have it confirmed if that would add to your delivery time or not (and if that is worth it to you.).
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

TNAviator wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:57 pm Not all oranges are created equal.

Clemson orange?

Texas Longhorns orange?

University of Tennessee orange?
As you well know, Greg, there is only one true UT and appropriate orange - Longhorn burnt orange!!! *laughing and j/k*. But I don’t think Diamond’s orange matches either Texas or Tennessee orange, unfortunately… its much darker than both! :)

Hook ‘em! *laughing*
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

Quick word about orange.

Diamond Austrias DA42 demonstrator, OE-FLZ which you see a lot on instragram is, I believe "Dark sunset orange". I specifically asked because I think it looks great. Lots of photos of it out there.

But what is important to note is different than the "Sunset orange" which is the newer color you will see in the catalog and a little lighter color.

If you liked the dark sunset orange (as I did) I imagine it would be relatively easy to have that color done since it has been approved before, but just know that it is non-standard.
Jitters79
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill
Aircraft Registration: 62177
Airports: Kbfi

Post by Jitters79 »

I took delivery of my 62 laaaaaaate last year, it’s dark sunset orange over anthracite carbon gray. You can search N62pz, or look up my insta (jitters79). Or just watch this video https://youtu.be/sbygqqfSsA8.

If you’re in the pnw I’d be more than willing to show it to you in person.