Jeppesen vs Garmin

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Re: Jeppesen vs Garmin

Post by dant »

You can also get right to Takeoff/Alternate minimums pages for a specific airport without bringing up the Chart Supplement and searching therein.
awww YEAH that's what I'm talking about! No more furiously swiping sideways!
firedwg1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: josh
Aircraft Registration: DA40XLS
Airports: KSNA

Post by firedwg1 »

my understanding is Jebb charts are better for international travel. The cost is about the same for the subscription if that option is activated for your G1000
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

There are some related questions:

- Are there any differences between Garmin and NACO charts (especially IAP's) that are of interest or can they be considered interchangeable?
- For the NACO and Nav Canada, there are significant differences. Were I to get Jepp charts for FF would these differences disappear?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Rich wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:00 am There are some related questions:

- Are there any differences between Garmin and NACO charts (especially IAP's) that are of interest or can they be considered interchangeable?
- For the NACO and Nav Canada, there are significant differences. Were I to get Jepp charts for FF would these differences disappear?
Not sure what you mean about Garmin and NACO charts. As far as I know the only choices in charts are Jepp, FAA/NACO and charts produced by other national aviation agencies. Garmin doesn't sell/make charts or plates.

Both Garmin and Jepp do produce/sell navdata created from the FAA's Digital Terminal Procedures publications. These are the textual instructions for departure/arrival/approach procedures which are used by the flight management system and presented graphically on the MFD. And the of course Jepp and FAA/NACO also sells those procedures as static geo-referenced plates.

Both Garmin and Jepp publish notices on errors in the navdata, but it's not clear if those are errors in the FAA and other aviation agency supplied data, or errors in the generation of the navdata by Jepp or Garmin.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:49 am

Not sure what you mean about Garmin and NACO charts. As far as I know the only choices in charts are Jepp, FAA/NACO and charts produced by other national aviation agencies. Garmin doesn't sell/make charts or plates.
That’s exactly the question I was asking. To wit: If one has Garmin Pilot are the chart base presentations simply reprints of NACO?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Rich wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:04 am
Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:49 am

That’s exactly the question I was asking. To wit: If one has Garmin Pilot are the chart base presentations simply reprints of NACO?
If you haven't purchased Jepp charts (not sure if they are supported in GP), the answer is Yes.

In Foreflight you can purchase Jepp charts and then choose between NACO and Jepp.
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Post by p3dave »

Boatguy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:28 pm Jeppesen vs Garmin
- Arrival, Departure and Approach plates
- Navdata
- Enroute charts

Any comments (ha!), especially from those actually using Jeppesen products? You can skip the comments about Jeppesen costing more, that's well established. I'm curious about the content of the products.

FWIW, I've been using Jeppesen plates for the last year and prefer them to the FAA plates. The value of the Navdata and charts is not quite as clear to me.
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I learned to fly instruments using NOAA charts and flying VOR to VOR shooting the occasional NDB approach. I was fat, dumb and happy paying less for the charts (and later on getting them online for free). When I became a regional airline pilot 6 years ago (as a late in life thing to do and having ample income to allow for this given what they paid at the time), I was introduced to Jepp and I would never go back. When you brief every thing you do as you do in the airlines, from the taxi out, takeoff, departure procedure, enroute, arrival and approach, everything flows off a Jepp. Just look at an approach plate, you start at the top briefing through the missed, runway lighting and then to the airport diagram to brief the runway length and potential turn off and taxi route to the gate. They (Jepp) are made for this and since I have learned what it means to be a professional pilot, I do this in all my flying now, even if I am the only person onboard.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

BTW in Foreflight if you include Aero data and display airways on the "naked" or Sectional charts it doesn't display information that's on the IFR enroute charts. however if you select a leg of an airway it will pop up information about the leg, such as MEA, leg length, bearing(s), etc.