Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: DA62 on order or recently delivered?

Post by Boatguy »

photoSteveZ wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:15 am I received an update today with photos from the London production floor. My airplane now has wings, tail, engines and props, and a functional panel: all major sub-assemblies except an interior, it appears. Progress!
Progress photos are always welcome. I received lots of them for both the boat I had built to order.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:00 am
photoSteveZ wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:15 am I received an update today with photos from the London production floor. My airplane now has wings, tail, engines and props, and a functional panel: all major sub-assemblies except an interior, it appears. Progress!
Progress photos are always welcome. I received lots of them for both the boat I had built to order.
I have to beg for updates, usually more than once. It’s demeaning. :scratch:
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

If you have taken delivery recently, what kind of USB outlets were installed? USB-A, USB-C, or USB-A & C?

USB-A is definitely past its prime.
thommy152
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: N271CF
Airports: 16J

Post by thommy152 »

I've got a serial number now! 62.C057. Spreadsheet updated... Hope the December delivery date doesn't get pushed any further out.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

It looks like C041 was delivered today and it's already AOG with ECU issues. Come on Diamond. :cry:
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

mfdutra wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:16 am It looks like C041 was delivered today and it's already AOG with ECU issues. Come on Diamond. :cry:
Standing by for an update from PhotoSteveZ. Could be a shared sensor failure, infant mortality.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

I've purchased four airplanes new from the factory. Every one of them required a shake out period to get things dialed in. They are complicated machines made by hand in small numbers. Expect some issues at first.

The first year with my new DA42 saw two new turbos, two new oil pumps, one new current sensor and voltage regulator and a software mystery. The second year has been smooth. Going into annual number two next week with no squawks.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Soareyes wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:52 pm The first year with my new DA42 saw two new turbos, two new oil pumps, one new current sensor and voltage regulator and a software mystery.
I would say it was horrible. Paying $1M (or more) to have problems because someone used low quality parts or sloppy manufacturing. Imagine $1M car also produced with lot of manual work - do you think the owners of such cars accept this level of problems?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Soareyes wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:52 pm I've purchased four airplanes new from the factory. Every one of them required a shake out period to get things dialed in. They are complicated machines made by hand in small numbers. Expect some issues at first.

The first year with my new DA42 saw two new turbos, two new oil pumps, one new current sensor and voltage regulator and a software mystery. The second year has been smooth. Going into annual number two next week with no squawks.
The Austro is is an automobile engine. The turbocharger, oil pump, current sensors and voltage regulator are not aviation specific, or even leading edge parts. These parts are manufactured in the tens of thousands, or millions of units per year. Have you ever purchased a new car and had to replace that many parts in the first year? Or even the life of the vehicle?

The turbocharged diesel in my last boat ran for days, not hours, at full speed. There were no parts failures after five years.

Aviation engines should be assembled and tested, both the manufacturing processes and the individual units, with care due to the far more serious implications of a failure than in either a car or boat.

We should not normalize this deviance.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

"Imagine $1M car also produced with lot of manual work - do you think the owners of such cars accept this level of problems?"

I would expect more mechanical issues from a Bugatti Veyron than from my Honda but I would also expect Bugatti to bring a team to fix the car in my location or to arrange transportation to a service location.

My wife's Porsche spends way more time in the shop than my Honda. She had it towed in a few weeks ago for the second time in five years. My similar vintage Honda gets an occasional oil change and that is the extent of its service history.

Weird to think that I have a Veyron in the hangar.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22