3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Re: Crazy Pricing?

Post by OriensFlight »

Does anyone on the forum have some real-world aircraft insurance expertise?

The last time I spoke with my insurance agent, he said that it was pointless to insure above the value the insurance company estimated, because while it was technically possible to give them more money, they wouldn't pay out anything above the estimate. Is he wrong?
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

OriensFlight wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:48 pm Does anyone on the forum have some real-world aircraft insurance expertise?

The last time I spoke with my insurance agent, he said that it was pointless to insure above the value the insurance company estimated, because while it was technically possible to give them more money, they wouldn't pay out anything above the estimate. Is he wrong?

This above is somewhat of a misstatement. Typically a reputable insurance company won't insure the hull for an unreasonably high value in the first place ($10 million for a worn-out C172 ?). I have real-world experience, having had several claims (two total losses and two several multi-$K repairs) and have never had my insurance company limit it to some initial estimate. In the event of a total loss you can expect to receive insured value, in which case the insurance company buys the plane and sells it for salvage. When damage is significantly less than the insured value, they paid the cost of repair + incidental expenses (shipping, ferrying, etc.).

But if you carry hull insurance unreasonably high, they might not total your plane when it should be. If you insure too low, the inverse can happen, they send you a check for the hull amount in exchange for the plane, when it could reasonably be repaired.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I just renewed my insurance which has a “stated value” clause. I provided a comparable from Controller and they were satisfied. The insurance market here is comparatively small though. Dollar for dollar, still cheaper than car insurance.
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Post by p3dave »

Normally aviation insurance has an "Agreed Upon Value" for the hull insurance. That is the value that the insured and the insurer agree to and is the hull value in the policy. While there are many insurance brokers there are just a few underwriters (such as AIG) that actually provide the insurance. This is unlike car insurance that typically pays depreciated value and sounds like that is what your agent was referencing. The policy documents are the key, whatever is stated in there is what they will do, that is a legal contract.
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by p3dave »

Saw this today in my weekly email from Controller. $250K for a 2002 with a timed out engine!

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... e-aircraft
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

A plane at Paine just sold "for asking" according to the broker posting on FATPNW. I think I saw it initially posted for 320k (350k?) and it didn't have WAAS.

It's nuts!
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

I plan to sell my 2003 DA40-180 this year, I put it on barnstormers.com. I think I must increase the price. PM if anybody like to act as an US Consultant
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

Well this one apparently sold for asking price. No WAAS. No VNAV. I have pretty good insight into consumer spending on luxury goods and there has definitely been a slow down in January. Hard to say whether this is just temporary Omicron or something real.
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by p3dave »

Thomas wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:13 pm I plan to sell my 2003 DA40-180 this year, I put it on barnstormers.com. I think I must increase the price. PM if anybody like to act as an US Consultant
Good luck Thomas, I sent you a PM with a few suggestions.
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by p3dave »

Here is the latest one, almost 9,000 hours, 2250 since major and USAF trainer for $229,000