G1000 NXi Phase III

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: G1000 NXi Phase III

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:23 pm Diamond is still unable to certify a subset of the G1000NXi (aka Perspectve+) features that were standard on Cirrus five years ago.
It's worse than that. My DA62 was one of the first equipped with NXi in early 2017, when Garmin was advertising NXi features like Visual Approaches and SurfaceWatch for other airframes -- features that Diamond STILL HAS NOT DELIVERED 7 YEARS LATER!!! That's just inexcusable.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The solution is to move final assembly and the type certificates for the 40, 40NG and 62 to Witchita, KS. They are already planning to move some final assembly to Brazil so the process development is already underway. The move to Witchita would address:

- limited qualified labor pool in London
- certification issues with Transport Canada
- US parts depot (eliminate double customs, delays and shipping for Austros and many parts)
- customer delivery center (none exists in London and it's very inhospitable six months of the year)
- customer / distributor overhead for importation processing
UglyBuzzard
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: NAN
Airports: KDTO

Post by UglyBuzzard »

At the risk of being too far off topic, the G3000 avionics/system integration of the Cirrus G7 includes automated fuel tank management/switching. (the selector is now normally under a closed door you don’t have to touch or think about.) It has a stick shaker, flap high and low speed protection, simpler switchology - it really does seem like a serious safety related upgrade. Nothing’s foolproof, but it resonates with me.
johnscim1
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N620EZ
Airports:

Post by johnscim1 »

I haven't been able to find anywhere authoritative that says that the G7 incorporates G3000. Clearly there is a significant improvement in avionics and features including at the hardware level, but has anyone actually seem a citation of the Garmin that is driving it?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

All you have to do is look at the SR22 G7 panel to see that it's based on the Garmin G3000 -- just like the Cirrus Vision Jet panel it emulates in order to facilitate customer transition from the SR22 to the jet.

Cirrus flight deck marketing terminology:

Perspective = Legacy G1000 (starting with 2008 SR22 G3)
Perspective + (Plus) = G1000 NXi (starting with 2017 SR22 G6)
Perspective Touch = Legacy G3000 (2015 1st gen Vision Jet)
Perspective Touch + (Plus) = G3000 upgraded to faster PFD/MFD processors and GIA64W from NXi (starting with 2019 Gen2 Vision Jet, and now 2024 SR22 G7)

I'm guessing that moving the SR airframe to the G3000 is a precursor to Cirrus introducing autoland on the SR22, since the Vision Jet, Piper M600, and TBM 960 with autoland all use the G3000.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
erchegyia
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: HBSGV
Airports: LSZH

Post by erchegyia »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:15 pm I'm guessing that moving the SR airframe to the G3000 is a precursor to Cirrus introducing autoland on the SR22, since the Vision Jet, Piper M600, and TBM 960 with autoland all use the G3000.
That would be interesting! Also means G8 should come with autothrottle, possibly fadec for the mixture control?!
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

I think you’re right Adam. So it would likely need FADEC but I’m sure that’s one of the next moves they’ll make to really shut the rest of the competition out.

I see why Cirrus has a financial incentive in really advancing the SR22 since it has never been more of a natural stepping stone to their vision jet than now. Nothing quite like an upgrade that sells itself. The vision jet also has to compete with the jet world (thank you captain obvious) which gives them a natural incentive to make their cockpit state of the art, unlike the cockpits we see in piston planes. To me, Cirrus has taken a page out of Apple’s playbook in making beautiful user experiences. They’re clearly getting it right and other manufactures should take a page out of their book. They are one of few companies who seem to really invest in growth capex as opposed to just maintenance capex.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

erchegyia wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:55 pm
CFIDave wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:15 pm I'm guessing that moving the SR airframe to the G3000 is a precursor to Cirrus introducing autoland on the SR22, since the Vision Jet, Piper M600, and TBM 960 with autoland all use the G3000.
That would be interesting! Also means G8 should come with autothrottle, possibly fadec for the mixture control?!
Yes autothrottle would be required.

The new G7 SR22 also comes with computer-controlled flap actuation (to prevent overspeed flap deployment by the pilot). But automated flap control is also a prerequisite for autoland.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Automated fuel tank switching is such a simple task. Every time I get in my airplane I am simply amazed that with all the technology available I find myself still having to manage the fuel tanks. It’s crazy. Particularly given the fact that there is no reason I can think of that you would ever want to have significantly disproportionate fuel levels in each wing. These advances in technology are making the Cirrus more and more attractive – although it will never fly as well as a Diamond
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:33 pm These advances in technology are making the Cirrus more and more attractive – although it will never fly as well as a Diamond
It doesn't fly as nicely, but as a single engine travel machine, it's unbeatable, where avgas is available.