G1000 NXi Phase III

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: G1000 NXi Phase III

Post by MackAttack »

The GWX 75 radar is available now as I understand it but Phase 3 is not. But they still have 43 days left to deliver on the promise! Let’s see what happens but I’m not holding my breath… Having said all this, even with a few “new plane” squawks, my DA62 is an outstanding airplane and I have zero regrets about the purchase.

We will see how things progress after the warranty expires a year or so from now …

Cheers
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: ZKDIA
Airports: NZQN

Post by MarkO »

I'm with Joel - the DA62 impresses me every time I fly it. I find the GWX 70 to be an excellent radar, and I'm looking forward to Phase 3, but I don't expect it to be life-changing.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Just like everybody, I’m pissed with the delay on phase 3 and some other issues. That said, I’m really enjoying the airplane as well, especially now with the GWX75 installed.

I just completed a flight today that I would’ve canceled or taken a very different route if it wasn’t for the radar.

The grass wasn’t greener with my Cirrus ownership as well. They have an absurd parts problem. There are airplanes that have been AOG waiting for parts for over a year.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Another year almost over and still no Phase III. I assume Diamond is still blaming Transport Canada. I stumbled across an email from mid 2018 from a friend who was flying an SR22 G6; Diamond is now 5-6yrs behind Cirrus. Here are a few things of what we've missed for roughly six years:

Weight & Balance page – enter weights, fuel, TKS, baggage, plots position on graph

Flight plans – saves when you shut down, so you can later invert it for return trip.

Can load a Visual Approach to any runway using the PROC key
- Choice of Straight in, which takes you to a 5.1 mile final,
- Or Vectors, which provides a curved path to a 1.4 mile final
- Visual approach also calculates a descent profile which you can fly with VNV key

Garmin SurfaceWatch displays name of where you are on ground at left center of PFD

Can view AOA, but must turn off Inset map to do this [Diamond isn't even trying to do this for Phase III]

Flight time displayed below the clock

Aircraft Callsign displayed on PFD near Coms
Karim
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Karim
Aircraft Registration: Pending
Airports: HEGO

Post by Karim »

As of yesterday, Diamond Austria Sales would still not confirm that my six-seater 62.281 due May 2024 would feature Phase III, though, as others have mentioned, they offered (and I accepted) an upgrade from the original GWX70 to the GWX75 for 7,300€. Something else I learned is that the AMSafe seat belts available on the DA42 are not available on the DA62. Finally, I looked at the STC for the first passenger row two-seat business configuration, and the backrest on those seats clearly reclines, though not sure whether it do so to the same degree as on the pilot seats; still, I’d say that’s a win.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Karim wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:51 am Finally, I looked at the STC for the first passenger row two-seat business configuration, and the backrest on those seats clearly reclines, though not sure whether it do so to the same degree as on the pilot seats; still, I’d say that’s a win.
Definitely a win for new owners in Europe who can order that option.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

So, Cirrus SR already has the G3000 and we still don't even have a complete NXi. What a shame, Diamond.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

mfdutra wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:14 am So, Cirrus SR already has the G3000 and we still don't even have a complete NXi. What a shame, Diamond.
Their “push to start” seems like a complete marketing scam. They just removed a key and added a button. Still all the same non-FADEC steps required for engine start as far as I can tell.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Except the new EarthX battery will probably turn the engine quickly enough to start the engine more easily.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

We can definitely nit pick some of the G7 features. But there is no nit picking that Cirrus has jumped ahead to the G3000 while Diamond is still unable to certify a subset of the G1000NXi (aka Perspectve+) features that were standard on Cirrus five years ago.

I guess that means Diamond will introduce the G3000 in 2030...