Diamond commercial/multi training

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Diamond commercial/multi training

Post by danno2000 »

Just finished up training at CRAFT Flight Training in Charleston, SC. I came in as an instrument-rated private pilot and did their combined commercial program and multiengine add-on over two weeks at the beginning of November. The school had gotten a recommendation here and I knew I'd appreciate travel to warmer climes from my base in New England. It also has a fleet of Diamond aircraft, distinguishing it from most other accelerated programs.

The first week and a half was commercial training, which for me included 10 hours in a 40-NG because I needed complex/TAA time and my steam-gauge 40-180 didn't qualify. I now understand much better why so many airplane owners look to upgrade avionics - despite all the consternation I've heard here from comments about Diamond and its lack of G1000 support, flying with it was eye-opening. My plane also doesn't have an autopilot, so it was great to learn the ins and outs of the GFC 700 as well.

I had originally hoped to use one of their planes throughout training and for the checkride as a tryout for a possible future purchase of a more modern 40, but the school has had challenges getting maintenance shops to get 100-hour inspections done in timely fashion so we ended up using my plane. In hindsight that was probably a better move - I have 400-500 hours in my plane so know its idiosyncrasies and quirks well. Commercial maneuvers in the 40-NG felt different enough to me to make the later training more valuable. I had one instructor throughout and that relationship worked great. I passed the checkride and felt confident about it.

The next day, I started multiengine training. First day was all ground work, introducing concepts and getting introduced to the 42-VI. The next two days included about 8 hours of flight time. I was surprised at how heavy the 42 felt compared to the 40 - slow entries into banks, greater need for aileron control in crosswinds. And boy, all the loud cockpit alerts whenever we'd simulate a single-engine-out or even just go below 20% power didn't improve my stress level any!

Multi training was complicated by the fact that I switched instructors halfway through. I had good rapport with the first one, who did ground and day 1 of flight. The second instructor was the chief CFI for the school and a co-owner, much older with a very different instruction style that wasn't an ideal fit. Still, I figured it'd be good practice for the checkride. Same DPE did the multi checkride, and I managed to pass, although I didn't feel nearly as confident. Getting the certificate after less than 10 hours of time in the plane left me feeling well short of proficiency, but this seems to be the reality of multi training given higher costs and general lack of availability of multiengine aircraft at most flight schools.

Overall it was lovely to get time in the 40-NG and 42-VI. For now the experience has me feeling happier than ever about my current 40-180, and I feel more comfortable with maneuvers that used to make me feel more nervous.

Happy to share more details with anyone - just PM me.

best,
dan
Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Re: Diamond commercial/multi training

Post by Mdm0515 »

Congrats on the new ratings and the way forward.