3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Re: MSB-E4-034 High Pressure Fuel Pump driving gear

Post by Donkadillapig »

My update on this guys.....
The folks at Lifestyle Aviation are now starting to assist. They agree (with Russ) that this needs addressing to be definitive. I'm not going to get into finger pointing but previously I was getting conflicted information including from the factory!

I'm making one, as high as I dare, cross country tomorrow to get my plane to SouthTec. Thinking is to get the aircraft into place before the soon to be issued Nov 16th AD effectively grounds it. SouthTec have confirmed that the gear needs inspecting and replacing per 034 (regardless of 035).... Parts are inbound but I can expect to be AOG for at least 2-3 weeks. I personally wont be surprised if this runs longer.

I'm just happy that there is finally a plan in place to get this resolved and that I am now getting some level of support.
Tell you what though, it's got me seriously rethinking my upgrade path!!!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Karl wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:31 amThe manufacturer calls it mandatory to draw your attention to a safety issue and so that they can deny liability if you choose to ignore it.
Also, I have spoken to 2 aviation loss adjusters who both stated that not complying with a manufacturer's mandatory requirement could result in a refused insurance claim. Insurance companies will use any excuse to avoid a payout. :)
I don't believe this occurs, since MSB's are not legally binding or reviewed by the FAA (in contrast to ADs, ICAs, or anything published in Chapter 4 of the AMM). Unlike an AD, a manufacturer can arbitrarily publish a MSB without any review, oversight, cost/benefit analysis, or opportunity for feedback from customers.

The GA insurance market is so small (only about a dozen underwriters), that if any underwriter were to deny a claim because an MSB was not performed, word would quickly spread among the brokers/agents who sell insurance to customers -- effectively killing new business for that underwriter. As an aircraft owner, would you want to purchase a policy underwritten by a company that refused to pay for a claim because a manufacturer's MSB was not performed?
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

I don't believe this occurs, since MSB's are not legally binding or reviewed by the FAA (in contrast to ADs, ICAs, or anything published in Chapter 4 of the AMM). Unlike an AD, a manufacturer can arbitrarily publish a MSB without any review, oversight, cost/benefit analysis, or opportunity for feedback from customers.

The GA insurance market is so small (only about a dozen underwriters), that if any underwriter were to deny a claim because an MSB was not performed, word would quickly spread among the brokers/agents who sell insurance to customers -- effectively killing new business for that underwriter. As an aircraft owner, would you want to purchase a policy underwritten by a company that refused to pay for a claim because a manufacturer's MSB was not performed?
I was only repeating what loss adjusters told me.
One is based in Asia, the other in UK.
Rams
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: SP-ATN
Airports: EPKM

Post by Rams »

Dear colleagues.
I’m attentively reading the thread dedicated to AE300/330 engines.
It pertains to the issue of the implementation of the latest MSBs and the availability of HPPs in order to replace them.
However, I can’t find anything making a mention whether Austro Engine is at this moment of time continuing the production of new engines? There’s nothing said about whether deliveries of new vehicles are executed on schedule or if deliveries of previously ordered only new engines are feasible on given dates? I’m wondering whether any of you, my friends, have any clue about it? The need to replace an engine may happen to any of us.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I can only say what I saw in factory last month: new engines were produced and I guess are still produced, hopefully with these MSBs applied. If there are some delays in delivery I can only guess.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Rams wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:26 pm Dear colleagues.
I’m attentively reading the thread dedicated to AE300/330 engines.
It pertains to the issue of the implementation of the latest MSBs and the availability of HPPs in order to replace them.
However, I can’t find anything making a mention whether Austro Engine is at this moment of time continuing the production of new engines? There’s nothing said about whether deliveries of new vehicles are executed on schedule or if deliveries of previously ordered only new engines are feasible on given dates? I’m wondering whether any of you, my friends, have any clue about it? The need to replace an engine may happen to any of us.
Please read the attached letter that should address some of your concerns.
Attachments
Diamond Aircraft and Austro Engine Newsletter #8 - Official release.pdf
(214.55 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rams
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: SP-ATN
Airports: EPKM

Post by Rams »

Thanks a lot.
In fact, this is the information for which I was waiting.
Funny, that the date of my question is identical to the date of release of the official Customer Information Newsletter.
Good timing.
manatee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: derek
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by manatee »

So it looks like MSB-E4-036 dropped yesterday...which supersedes both 34 and 35. I am not an expert but it seems like it is just a more comprehensive rollup of the issue, and restricts certain replacement parts for the HPP gear. The file is too large to attach but I linked it below. My plane has been dropped off with South Tec since mid November to avoid being grounded by the AD, and when I called them yesterday they said they needed to confer with Diamond to figure out exactly how this will impact the issue and repair timeline. If anyone else has other information I would be interested.

https://www.austroengine.at/uploads/pdf ... 6_rev0.pdf
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

What I heard from Absolute was that it requires a new, non-Mercedes gear not previously available. Planes which replaced their gear with the Mercedes gear will need another replacement.
SeanN
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Sean
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N131DA
Airports: KSRQ KFWA

Post by SeanN »

I have a DA 40 NG 2021 delivered to me June 28th. The HP fuel gear was replaced in late September 2021 by Diamond and then 3 weeks ago I noticed a fuel leak when I was parking the plane. Problem was identified as a leaky gasket on the fuel pump and fixed.
I flew yesterday and had a power failure and warnings of ECU A and ECU B failure and then Fuel Pressure failure warning accompanied by drop in power and wierd engine noise. I took power to zero switched electric fuel pump on and then powered back to 1800/1880 RPM which gave me back some power but engine did not seem to be running quite right. I was 5 miles from an airport and declared an emergency and tried to land but due to local gyro traffic went around at 50% power and kept the plane at 600AGL and landed safely. Glad and I have to say this aircraft is designed very well to fly always! But very disappointed that a new plane has had so many issues. I am told there is yet another gear revision … I want the pump replaced .. will not fly until it is! DIamond needs to step up, not satisfied….