3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Rotating Tires to Even Out Wear- DA-40

Post by dwurfel »

Was not sure how best to post this in the subject field, but the inside tread on my main tires on my DA-40 tend to wear faster than the outside half of the tread. Based upon the landing gear they are just cupped that way. Both sides exhibit the same wear pattern.

It seems you could flip the tire on the rim so that the more worn half would be on the outside and the less worn side would be on the inside that seems to take the greater wear. The tires do not have a directional pattern so you could conceivably flip them accordingly.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this. I should say that the worn half of each time is not close to showing cord. Just looking at a way to get the most out of my tires. Easy to do since I am at the same time cleaning and packing the wheel bearing on each side.

Thanks all. :bow
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Re: Rotating Tires to Even Out Wear- DA-40

Post by smoss »

There is a whole process to align the wheels if the wear is uneven--there are a few threads on the forum showing how. With that said, unless it is really bad, these tires last a really long time anyways, and doing the procedure may not be worth it. Also, flipping the tire around is probably more pain than worth, and you also risk mucking up the tube.
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Mine has always been the reverse - and what I would expect from spring-steel landing gear like ours. The outside of the tires are the first to contact the pavement on landing. This is very evident when lowering the plane when it's been on jacks. There is no doubt that rubber is lost from the outside. The axles of my main gear are parallel to the ground when the plane is settled on the ground. My tires are now noticeably worn on the outside and I will once again (I've done it in the past) rotate my tires in the next month or so to deal with it. (BTW, these are 6-year old Air Hawks).

Wearing on the inside seems counterintuitive to me and might indicate alignment problems. There is an alignment procedure available to check it out. But rotating to even it out is definitely doable.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

For reference, here are a few older threads on uneven tire wear.

DA40: Wheel alignment tip
Uneven tire wear
Bent gear legs?
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The photo shows a main gear tire upon lowering from the jacks after a session adjusting air pressure. This is why I expect and get more tire wear on the outside of the mains. These Airhawks, BTW, have more meat on them and result in a bit of a challenge pulling off the main gear wheel fairings.
Attachments
Main Gear at Touchdown.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Scottsware
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N343SG
Airports: KAPA

Post by Scottsware »

I have the same wear pattern, inside wears more. I do my own tire changes and I did a rotate for the first time last year. I’m pleased with the results and wish I had done this all along. I plan to rotate the tires once for each new set from now on.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

Thanks all. I am going to rotate this week, but also will look into alignment and shim solution. This forum is such a super esource. Thaks to everyone for sharing your experience. Dave
TAILspin38
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Anthony
Aircraft Registration: N222AD
Airports: KHBG

Post by TAILspin38 »

Both mlg tires seem to be wearing evenly (more worn on the outside) and am getting ready to rotate. Is it safe to say that the alignment issue is not a factor when rotation is done nor should be an issue when new tires are installed? I guess what I'm also asking is if the tires seem to be properly shimmed is there any concern that somehow they could be knocked out of alignment? Thanks
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

All I can say it is working for me and both tires wear evenly begore and after rotation. Even more important now since I cannot get tires from Aircraft Spruce. Safe flying!
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I can't imagine alignment being affected. The alignment is really the axles and you won't be removing those for this process.