4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Re: DA42-6 Airworthiness Limitations / Engine TBO

Post by Davestation »

Boatguy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:47 am Aren't all DA42's built in Austria?
Canada makes them as well - they don’t fab the hull but it’s shipped to them in pieces and they assemble it. The SN will have a C in it.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Davestation wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:51 am
Boatguy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:47 am Aren't all DA42's built in Austria?
Canada makes them as well - they don’t fab the hull but it’s shipped to them in pieces and they assemble it. The SN will have a C in it.
Back when DA42 TDIs were in big demand (2006-2008), many DA42 "kits" were shipped from Austria for assembly in Canada. A few DA42s with avgas IO-360 Lycomings (DA42-L360 models) were produced in Canada for the North American market. And a handful of DA42NGs were built in Canada 2009-2012 prior to introduction of the DA42-VI.

But since then all new DA42s have been built in Austria. (I owned the first DA42-VI sold in North America -- ferried across the Atlantic from Austria in 2013.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N526AE
Airports: KBFF

Post by Jroseund »

Dang. How much total time for delivery does that add for the ferry flight across the pond?
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Jroseund wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:03 am ...How much total time for delivery does that add for the ferry flight across the pond?
About 26 hrs to the London, Ontario factory where they install all of your North America stuff (Sirius/XM weather, etc.), plus whatever it takes to get it delivered to you from there.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

ultraturtle wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:09 pm
Jroseund wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:03 am ...How much total time for delivery does that add for the ferry flight across the pond?
About 26 hrs to the London, Ontario factory where they install all of your North America stuff (Sirius/XM weather, etc.), plus whatever it takes to get it delivered to you from there.
Yeah, it took 28 hours for my DA42-VI because we hit some 50 knot headwinds between Greenland and Goose Bay, Canada.

But the good news is that you may be able to fly along with the ferry pilot like I did, for the experience of a lifetime. :)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4438
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Oshkosh99
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N86RK
Airports: EDMA + NC26

Post by Oshkosh99 »

Hi Guys,

I'd like to restart this thread with two questions:

1) I am a part owner in a N-registered DA42NG operated in Germany / Europe. We fly it with US PPLs. It's a shared ownership program where we "rent" the aircraft from a shared ownership company. The company from which we rent the aircraft does not provide a pilot or instructor, but only the aircraft. So as I understand it we are not bound by the FAA rule 91.409 100h inspection requirement. I found an FAA legal interpretation dated 1 October 2014 on this topic, I think our case is "scenario 6" in that letter. Any opinions on this? Would we need a 100h inspection?

https://flymall.org/blog/2019/07/100-ho ... pretation/

Obvioulsy one should do an oil change anyway, but I am wondering if we can't exceed the 100h until the next annual, which might be after 120hrs or so. Of course one could also move the next annual forward to the 100h mark, so do it after 9 or 10 months, but doing this every year also adds to the cost.... So I'd rather stretch it out to say 120hours to coincide with the next annual.... Car engines these days have 20.000mile /30.000km oil change intervals, that's about 200hours if one would drive at full throttle 100mph all the time....

2) Second question is actually a bit more interesting. We now have about 1450hours on the engines, so TBO is in about 350hrs. With waiting times in Austria currently to be rumoured to be around 18-24 months we would have to schedule the overhaul pretty soon.

But I am wondering if we need to strictly adhere to the TBO? Can we not fly the aircraft on condition beyond TBO, as long as we do not operate it for hire? We are already operating the propellers on condition past their TBO....
Does it make a difference, that the FAA type approval is based on an EASA approval which might require adherance to the TBO?

Thanks
Joe
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

To try and answer your questions:

1. You are correct that the plane is not required to have 100 hour inspections, since the company that rents you the plane does not also provide a pilot or flight instructor. This isn't much different from a typical "dry lease" program like DiamondShare, where the aircraft owner doesn't provide the pilot or flight instructor, and hence isn't required to perform 100 hour inspections.

2. Under US (FAA) Part 91 operations, airframe or engine manufacturer TBOs are strictly advisory recommendations, so you are not required to overhaul the engine at TBO. With an N-registered aircraft you're free to decide when to overhaul your engine. Required maintenance is:
- listed in Chapter 4 (not Chapter 5) of the AMM, since it must be reviewed and approved by the FAA before publication,
- any "Instructions for Continued Airworthiness" (ICA) typically associated with various STC components, or
- compliance with any published Airworthiness Directives.

DA42NG Austro Engine TBO doesn't fall within any of those categories.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Oshkosh99 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:19 pm Obvioulsy one should do an oil change anyway, but I am wondering if we can't exceed the 100h until the next annual, which might be after 120hrs or so. Of course one could also move the next annual forward to the 100h mark, so do it after 9 or 10 months, but doing this every year also adds to the cost.... So I'd rather stretch it out to say 120hours to coincide with the next annual..
If I understand your question (and the answers I've gotten to similar questions from my Diamond service center), you may defer the Diamond-specified, 100-hr ("oil change+") service interval by 10%, but it doesn't push the *next* required service out at all. In other words, you may delay a required 100-hr service due at, say, the 400hrs mark until 410hrs, but your next 100-hr service is due at 500hrs, NOT 510hrs.

Note that this has nothing to do with the FAA-required 100 hour inspection for commercial operations.
Last edited by photoSteveZ on Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Steve,

Just for clarity sake. A 100hr inspection for aircraft used in commercial service is what Jon asked about above. This is a specific FAA requirement that applies to all aircraft used in commercial service under specific conditions. None of which apply to Jon above. This FAA mandated 100hr inspection is effectively an annual inspection without an IA required signature (it can be completed by an AP).

Because Jon does not meet the criteria of a "commercial" operation, the 100hr inspection referenced does not apply.

Separate from this, if the AMM includes a 100hr inspection (such as I had one on the Aerostar for the Iconel exhaust pipes) then you are generally correct on the interval. However, you need to read the fine print, for each one.

Tim
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Yeah, TimS, I should have been more specific and I've edited my response to clarify what I meant: I was talking only about the Diamond-specified 100-hr service interval, not an FAA-required "100 hour" inspection.