5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Fuel Tank Finger Filters

Post by Rich »

I had an incident yesterday that may result in removing/checking one of these (right tank, specifically). Does anyone know offhand whether these can be removed without pulling the wing?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Fuel Tank Finger Filters

Post by Steve »

Rich:

I don’t know for sure. I do know that you can see the fuel outlet through the MLG access panel opening (with an inspection mirror). Of course, that doesn’t mean that you would have sufficient access to remove it...

I would also pull the fuel drain access cover, and look in from that direction.

Good luck, I know you will let us know what you discover...

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

It is semi-accessible from the fuel drain cover. Another fairly blind activity:
N40XE Right Fuel Tank coupling.jpg
You may ask what the event was? On Monday (9/28) as I was returning to the airport I was flying on the right tank during the descent. Naturally I was powered back quite a bit, and had been running on this tank for awhile. The engine began to sputter and miss. The gauge said 3 gallons left (I had 6 in the left). I pushed the mixture full forward (showed 10.4 GPH then) and that helped for a few seconds. It sputtered a bit again and I pushed the throttle forward a bit, which further bumped up the fuel flow (11+ GPH) and this helped. Then I got a Low Fuel on the annunciator panel and almost simultaneously a Lo Fuel on the right gauge. I was about to switch to the left tank anyway and did that. Everything returned to normal, I was able to pull the mixture back where I expected it to be and make a normal pattern entry, approach and landing without further ado.

I had thought maybe the fuel gauge was off. The Lo Fuel/3 Gallon on the fuel gauge comes from the same source. But the Low Fuel annunciation is a separate sensor intended to be activated at 3 gallons. FWIW I never got a Low Fuel Pressure warning. Today I went out to check the fuel level indication. I drained right at 3 gallons as expected, so gauge accuracy is confirmed. My other theory is something clogging the finger filter. So I may want to check that. Perhaps the low level in the tank is just a coincidence. Of course I rechecked the fuel drain results and there's nothing to see there.

Anyway, troubleshooting continues...
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

More data from my test flight today. Filled both fuel tanks. Plane flew wonderfully without incident in the climb and cruise with WOT and 2400 RPM. But then, upon reducing throttle for descent the engine started intermittently running rough. This seems to be a function of either MAP itself or maybe it's the fact that the throttle is well below fully open. It seems like it's a factor starting somewhere below 20". Switching tanks made no difference. Pushing the mixture full forward (something I never do on descent) may have made a difference but not much. Fuel pressure and fuel flow were not acting weird at any time and I didn't note any weirdness with EGT or CHT.

To check repeatability, I landed, taxied back and took off again and went around the pattern. Ran great for takeoff and climb and started acting up when I pulled back the throttle to 17". and was flaky thereafter during the approach and landing.

Basically it feels like when you're pulling back to find the sweet spot for lean of peak and the the engine gets rough during the process. My mechanic thinks it's some kind of fuel problem that he's seen with this type of fuel injection so we'll be test-flying together tomorrow so he can carefully test and observe various parameters.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich:

With the difficulties you have had with the Electronic Ignition installation, is there any chance that this could be related to the SureFly unit? Did you try running on the right mag only?

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:17 pm Rich:

With the difficulties you have had with the Electronic Ignition installation, is there any chance that this could be related to the SureFly unit? Did you try running on the right mag only?

Steve
We'll be retrying this tomorrow, but I don't think so. For one thing it doesn't seem the same. My mechanic, BTW, is now a Surefly field rep and has had occasion to deal with the 28V system hiccups in other aircraft, for one thing.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Bingo, it's the Surefly. See that thread under Lycoming.