3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Duke pump replacement with a Weldon

Post by Pascal »

I am posting this in the hope that it will be useful to someone.

So it is my airplane's turn to have a leaking electrical dual speed Duke fuel pump.

We are ordering a brand new Weldon pump P/N 18052-2A and the install kit P/N 18052-kit from XU Aviation. The cost is 3000$ CAD, (2300$ USD) plus taxes (15%) and shipping. And that's just for the parts.

I decided against overhauling the old Duke fuel pump, as I suspect the one that was in there had been in the airplane since 1999 and might not have been serviceable anymore.

I purchased my airplane as a fixer upper a few years ago. I have been replacing parts and improving the overall mechanical condition of the bird over time. We now have 3 DA20-C1s, a DA-40 and a DA-42 at my sleepy local airport, so the AMEs are getting proficient at servicing them.

I'll wait another year or two, then it's going to be time for a panel upgrade.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: Duke pump replacement with a Weldon

Post by RMarkSampson »

Pascal, Appreciate the info - knock on wood I'm still living on a rebuild to my Duke. The way 2020 is going - I will get bit by this again soon. My way ahead is to use it AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. Besides the obvious wear and leak reputation - the IO-240 really does hate that electric fuel pump. As soon as the engine is started - it goes off. On takeoff, yes it is the backup to the mechanical fuel pump. So as I turn onto the runway, it comes on - and the engine runs rougher with less power with that thing on. Really wish there was a better solution out there. Interested in knowing how your DA-20 likes the new pump.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

RMarkSampson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:50 pm Interested in knowing how your DA-20 likes the new pump.
Hi Mark, my DA-20 likes the new pump. The new pump makes more noise than the old Duke pump, I can audibly confirm that it is working at startup.

The RPM doesn't drop significantly when I turn the pump on. All engine parameters appear to be otherwise identical to what they were with the old pump.

I am now following your advice to use the pump as little as possible in order to reduce the wear and tear to the bare minimum.
zxc7847006
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Zhang
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: B9477
Airports: ZYCY

Post by zxc7847006 »

Hi Pascal,we have 2 new DA20C1 with Weldon pump. We would like to know whther the Weldon pump need to be replaced every 10 years?Just like Weldon fuel pump.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Post by Spinner »

interesting question. The DA20 manual chapter 5 specifically says "Duke" fuel pumps 10 year limit. If I was a lawyer I would say that it would not have to be replaced.
zxc7847006
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Zhang
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: B9477
Airports: ZYCY

Post by zxc7847006 »

Spinner wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:40 pm interesting question. The DA20 manual chapter 5 specifically says "Duke" fuel pumps 10 year limit. If I was a lawyer I would say that it would not have to be replaced.
I had asked the A/C manufacturer of DA20C1. The Weldon pump's time limit is also every 10 years. :scream: