3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N899ds
Airports: Kcgs

Re: Red X's on PFD....

Post by Leesommer »

Well its back.

HDG red Xs, GDL90 is X out under Aux page/LRUs.... Then it comes back after a while.

Just got it out of annual from Ken Lawler's shop they checked it but could not duplicate.

Also, Traffic Fail at the same time.

I Do Not trust it flying IFR until fixed... Might anyone know a shop in the Mid-Atlantic that is savey to this..

Thanks
lee
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

If your magnetometer fails you will lose HDG and GDL90 (traffic fail). You would get a magnetometer fail alert on the PFD. This just recently happened to me.

I also had a GDL90 issue due to a misconfiguration of the ARINC 429 link to the GTX-345R. That led to red X for the GDL90 and traffic fail, but HDG was fine at the time. Something like that could be happening too.

My regular avionics shop is Lancaster Avionics at Lancaster Airport in Lititz, PA. They fixed my G1000 woes when I encountered numerous issues after my WAAS upgrade. They are now the only shop I'll trust to work on my avionics. Reach out to them and let me know when they can fit you in. I may be able to get you back to CGS if they can't fix your issues in a single day.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Lancaster Avionics was amazing when I was AOG there with an ECU failure. (They couldn't fix it, but they helped with the diagnostics until a ferry pilot came to take it away.)

I had good luck at the avionics shop on Plymouth Field just south of Boston. KPYM and Nexair Avionics. (508) 339-7077 They helped with a headset issue I had been chasing. But they due an absolute ton of work on Cirrus planes and really know the G1000 stuff. That might be your best bet.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Leesommer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Leesommer »

Thanks all. I'm going to video the failure and get back with Mark at Lancaster.
Leesommer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Leesommer »

:thumbsup: just got back from Lancaster avionics after they installed a new magnetometer it was easy process took like 2 hours and let's see how it works the flight back was perfect no problems but I'm hoping this weekend I can put some more time on it to shake it out even more. Keep everybody posted. But it does seem like it was the magnetometer that was bad/weak.
greg
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Airports:

Post by greg »

I replaced my magnetometer a couple of years back after an in-flight failure. Since then, I seem to get the red X on the HDG indicator frequently when taxiing. It usually comes back in about 30 seconds. It is possibly related to taxing near or over metals or electrical cables, so I could understand it having that effect. But it seems to be much more prevalent since the replacement. (The most annoying part of this is that my home airport has stop bars, so I usually lose the HDG as I turn on to the runway :cry: )

Does anyone else have this issue, or should I have it looked into?
Leesommer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Leesommer »

Well I've flown probably 6 hours since I had the new magnetometer installing calibrated. Well it happened again today Red X on the heading the GFC 90 is Red X I know there's no GFC 90 is just a data link like. But then it comes back in about 30 seconds so I've replaced a magnetometer now what??

I was shooting a GPS 34 approach to DMW on missed approach The Heading X oh my goodness..about 40 seconds.. and for the remaining hour of the flight shooting Approach at York Pennsylvania and then returning no issues. :scream:
Leesommer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Re: Red X's on PFD.... April 2023

Post by Leesommer »

Pulled the cables front under the sunscreen and LRU bay, cleaned with contact cleaner, reinstalled, as per avionics shop. Flew to OXB yesterday and about 30 minutes into level smooth flight AP pickled off. AHRS and HDG Xed, Aux page showed X on GDL 90,,, by the time I could get to my phone to take a picture everything came back and the X on GDL90 went away "green check mark" The rest of the flight about 30 mins to OXB and then back to CGS uneventful.

I know this has been a long thread..

I'm going to send to Diamond and Garmin again... If no luck then will have to drop off and leave a Lancaster for,,,, I guess replacement of additional components until it becomes dependable again.

But any advise will be welcomed.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Intermittent failures are the worst. That was the situation with my WAAS upgrade. Troubleshooting involved weekly flights to Lancaster for a couple of months until we found the root cause.

Given my experience with a failed replacement GIA-63W, it's totally possible that your exchange magnetometer is also intermittently failing. For example, the first replacement GIA-63W I replaced had a faulty power supply board. The magnetometer is a relatively simply device so that's probably not the case, but it's possible.

You said you checked the contacts behind the glare shield, but did you check the contacts in the right wing where the magnetometer is connected? Those could be to blame.

Next up on the replacement list would be the AHRS most likely, which looks like $1,800 for an exchange. So I would definitely want to rule out all alternatives before going down that route.

Sorry you're going through this, having been through a similar situation it's super frustrating and can take months of painful and expensive troubleshooting.
Leesommer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Leesommer »

Appreciate your input... Matt... Yeah checked the cable going to the magnetometer and the LRU's Just don't know what to think... So will keep VFR until resolved...Will probably take up to see folks at lancaster middle of June.