4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Re: Potential New DA62 Owner

Post by dgger »

xyzbobxyz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:13 pm My Bonnie has ADS-B In/out, Garmin 430W and I use Foreflight on my Ipad. I prefer the RNAV approaches and love to let slave feature couple to the 430 and fly the magenta line without any assistance. I also have grown reliant on the weather and traffic information that the ADSB sends to my 430 and my Ipad. So my questions, and I have read both G1000 threads and much here, yet still am not clear:

1. If I purchased a used 62, do all these electronic perks from my Bonnie go away? Are they replaced with some other feature I have yet to experience?

2. If I purchase new, would the answer above change?
You can certainly fly coupled approaches in a DA62. Also traffic information is available on the moving map as well. I had inflight weather via Iridum in my DA42 which is available in the DA62 as well. But since I am not based in the U.S. I am not sure about ADS-B weather. I am sure someone based there can enlighten us.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Since most NXi DA62s are (patiently??? :cry: :scream: ) "waiting" for our GTX345 transponders to be installed, I use the ForeFlight "Sentry" device for ADS-B/FIS-B "in" info to my iPad.
The GDL69A (Sirius XM weather) and TAS/TAWS (aircraft data) provide that info to the MFD.

Sure will be nice once the "already paid for" GTX345 is finally approved for install in our plane! It's only been 19 months "waiting" for me, others have "waited" much longer!!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Bob,

It depends on the used DA62 you buy. But I don't think you'd be giving up any of those features. I don't THINK there are any DA62s without WAAS, for instance, so the coupled RNAV approach is still available to you. I am a little confused on the ADS-B picture for some of the early DA62s, but I think you would just build something into the sales contract so it didn't cost you more money to fix it later one.

We'll know a lot more after the first week of March, I think.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

Colin,

As far as I know there are only two DA62 configurations in the market: G1000 legacy and G1000Nxi Phase I. The G1000 legacy seems to have some minor software issues and hardware bugs of early airframe builds, so the newer aircrafts with NXI make most sense anyway. But those are all upgradable with the promised new software and worst case phase II hardware (new GIAs, audio panel and engine unit). All support WAAS and LPV approaches!

Regards,
Jan
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

xyzbobxyz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:13 pm I am also putting my toe in the water. I have a Bonanza that is awesome to fly but too small and too slow for my needs. I had been settled on a Cessna 421C when I saw the Diamond 62 at Oshkosh and fell in lust.

My Bonnie has ADS-B In/out, Garmin 430W and I use Foreflight on my Ipad. I prefer the RNAV approaches and love to let slave feature couple to the 430 and fly the magenta line without any assistance. I also have grown reliant on the weather and traffic information that the ADSB sends to my 430 and my Ipad. So my questions, and I have read both G1000 threads and much here, yet still am not clear:

1. If I purchased a used 62, do all these electronic perks from my Bonnie go away? Are they replaced with some other feature I have yet to experience?
I purchased a used DA62, just 5 numbers prior to the implementation of NXi, so might be able to provide some perspective. Should your purchase include the GTX345, or should you choose to upgrade from the standard GTX335 for about 10 AMU (~$5,000 hardware plus ~$5,000 installation) you would lose no perks whatsoever, and gain massively from features that you might just have to experience to appreciate.

First off, ADSB traffic and weather will be on the big screen, right in front of you - no need to cross check your iPad or pull out your reading glasses to see it all on the 430W screen.

Secondly, the super-sweet integration of the Garmin GFC700 Autopilot with the G1000 system makes for ease of flight unmatched by any cobbling together of largely-deaf-to-each-other components. Once at cruise, the route is set, and I can set a VNAV descent point that optimizes either speed or efficiency, that will sequence to an instrument approach (ILS or RNAV to LPV mins). I can then brief my non-pilot spouse to simply manage the throttle to landing should I become incapacitated.

Ironically, NXi birds in their current implementation cannot benefit from full ADSB-IN integration of the GTX345 to view NEXRAD and traffic on the big screen, but hopefully that glitch will be fixed soon.
xyzbobxyz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:13 pm2. If I purchase new, would the answer above change?
Big Time! A new purchase means NXi, which brings with it the option of a keypad, which is pretty huge. Not sure how familiar you are with the legacy G1000, but it is as massively capable as it is massively counterintuitive. The keyboard mitigates that weakness mightily, making the system much easier to use.
rkaplan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Richard
Aircraft Registration: N296LA
Airports: KFDK KAGC

Post by rkaplan »

ultraturtle wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:39 am A new purchase means NXi, which brings with it the option of a keypad, which is pretty huge. Not sure how familiar you are with the legacy G1000, but it is as massively capable as it is massively counterintuitive. The keyboard mitigates that weakness mightily, making the system much easier to use.
The integrated G1000 and G700 is in my view the key to integrated avionics in the DA62.

While Nxi is nice, I am not certain that it is a transformational jump. Can you clarify how you find the keyboard to be so helpful? Admittedly I only tried it a few times, but I have not yet found the "killer feature" to convince me to use it regularly instead of the PDF/MFD controls.

Nxi offers the ability to depict a visual approach with glidepath to any runway; that is a nice feature indeed, but Diamond has not yet implemented that particular Nxi feature so it is not available (at least not yet).

Wireless flight plan entry with FlightStream seems like a nice-to-have feature though does require purchasing an extra adapter. The FlightStream apparently also allows passengers to view your route/weather on their mobile devices during a flight; that seems again like a nice-to-have feature but not a killer item. In the same category, I believe there are aviator watches which can receive this info in real-time during a flight.

What other items are in Nxi but not in the legacy G1000 which you find to be particularly useful?
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Richard -
NXi is significantly faster in "rendering" screen/page changes.
Our DA42 had the original G1000 - zooming in and out took a lot longer to render the new view on the MFD.
The 42 also had a KAP140 autopilot - the GFC700 is SOOOOO MUCH better!!

Our DA42 didn't have a keypad - our 62 does:
The keypad is great for entering flight plans especially with a lot of fixes in it. Also great for entering "new routings" from ATC.
The other thing I find the keypad good for is "working" the weather radar. I tend to do a lot of verticle "tilt" changing/scanning and range changes while using it - much easier than doing the same from the MFD controls.
Once you use the keypad, you'll tend to use it more. It's much better than having to lean over, in front of other person, to "spin/push" the knobs. As far as using the "PFD" function of the keypad, I don't - I just use the PFD knobs right in front of me.

As fas as I know, the current "phase 1" NXi is not compatable with FlightStream.

If you use ForeFlight, they offer a free passenger app to allow them to see your flight data from your ipad/iphone
https://foreflight.com/products/passenger/
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
xyzbobxyz
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Registration: N933A
Airports: KGYY

Post by xyzbobxyz »

Thanks to all that provided feedback. I t has made me feel more comfortable with the idea of pursuing the 62 - more likely a used one. I am also very eager to learn what comes out of that meeting in March. If I was pressed today, I think I would be likely to steer towards a legacy 1000 / 700 setup w existing 345 over the Nxi craft.

I am sure I will have more questions when I become more actively engaged in the search - but I think the 62 is where I want to go.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

While we are on the subject, it’s a little unclear to me if Diamond is delivering new DA62s with “Phase 1” NXi or “Phase 2 NXi.” And whether the latter will include the 345 transponder capability. If they aren’t doing that yet, perhaps folks can find out in the meeting when they expect that to happen.

By way of reference, early G3000 aircraft (of which my Piper M600 is one; it also includes early Phenoms and TBM 930s, and possibly Cessna M2s) come with a hardware/software limitation that doesn’t allow installation of a 345. So even in my Piper turbine, I use a Foreflight Sentry to supplement the TCAS. So it’s not a problem limited to Diamond, as it turns out, for early adopters of certain Gxxxx hardware ...